Where is hell? Is it inside the Earth?

And in Matthew 12:40, Jesus Christ says:

"For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly: so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the HEART OF THE EARTH. "

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Beeky: wow !

He was speaking to the Pharisees and Sadduccees
    Check this out.
    Matthew 12:40 (The Message)

39-40Jesus said, "You're looking for proof, but you're looking for the wrong kind. All you want is something to titillate your curiosity, satisfy your lust for miracles. The only proof you're going to get is what looks like the absence of proof: Jonah-evidence. Like Jonah, three days and nights in the fish's belly, the Son of Man will be gone three days and nights in a deep grave.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• First, I have to state I don't believe there is a hell. However, in answer to your question I will say this.. I always took that scripture to mean that he was simply in the grave for three days & three nights, not that he was in hell. Although I know there are Christian faiths that do believe he was in Hell, that is not what I was ever taught. Even when I was being taught Christianity I was taught there was no hell... As a Pagan the idea simply doesn't apply.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• http://www.cybercauldron.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/yggdrasil.jpg

Sorry, it's in Spanish, but it's hard to find them actually labeled like that.  It's a poor translation, using Infierno, which is Spanish for the Christian concept of Hell, but in actuality, it is Hel/Helheim (only 1 l, not 2), and there's nothing dark and evil about it.  Our own plane of existence is represented by the part labeled Tierra (Earth), but it's more than just our physical planet.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No one knows where hell is, just as no one knows where heaven is. Hope i never find out where hell is.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It will be right here, all of this will burn. Anything touched by sin, but not covered by the blood of Jesus, will burn "on the breadth of the Earth". (Revelation 20:9-10) Even Satan.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Hell is right here on earth, in our brains if we make wrong choices. It isn't a "place". We create our own Hell. It isn't in the middle of the earth.....haha....not in a fiery pit with a guy carrying a pitchfork. WOw.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• it's not a physical place really...it's a spiritual place. if it were physical, A) we'd probly have found it by now and if we had B) people would have died TRYING to get in. (because we have stupid people on this earth that would love to go to the hottest place on, or in this case IN, earth) It's spiritual because it's where the souls will go, not bodies.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure that it is literally in the middle of the Earth but I dunno. Kind of like I don't think Heaven is literally in the sky.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yeah i think hell is on the spiritual side, since when you die your soul goes somewhere and your body goes into the ground or creamated
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The Church teaches that he descended to the world of the dead.....not hell, but a place called Hades where people went before Jesus opened the gates of heaven so all souls could enter...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010