New to working out at the gym...

I just started working out at the gym November 1st. I have been doing a cardio day then a day working out arms and abs, and another day on legs and then cardio again. Should I be doing more cardio? I am a bigger girl with alot to lose. I want to lose weight and keep it off. I'm not sure on how to do this in the gym since I haven't been to a gym since i was a young teenager. How should I schedule my workouts for the best outcome?

lovinmyKNP

Asked by lovinmyKNP at 6:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Good for you, hitting the gym :) Sounds like a very balanced program (I'm no expert) but you need to do what you are comfortable with. I use sparkpeople.com and they give me free advice on diet & exercise.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 6:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I understand you should do a half hour of cardio every day. Good luck with your fitness goals!

Answer by Bmat at 6:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Thanks! Maybe Ill just shorten my muscle work outs to add more cardio
    lovinmyKNP

Comment by lovinmyKNP (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Good for you. You are a special person and do not let him bring you down. What nerve. You are the mother of his children and it sounds like he has no respect for you. You will be better off without him. I wish you luck. With lots of hugs.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The best thing to do is at least 30 minutes of cardio every day and then after you have worked up a really good sweat hit the weights and machines and alternate upper and lower body every other day. That way you are not only getting the benefits of cardio every day, you are also burning more fat by working your muscles every day as well. This is what I usually do M-F and then skip the gym on the weekends and take a walk or do another "light" exercise on Sat and Sun. Keep up the good work, you are doing great!!!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Great PP's!

Also remember to stretch at the end of every workout. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Good job!
    Here's my opinion anyway;) Always get your heart pumping first. 15 minutes or so on any machine until your cheeks are "rosey".

Your fitness routine should take no longer than 20 min. Have it planned out. Go from one set, do the reps, and go right into the next set. This will keep your heart rate up so you get a cardio at the same time as a fitness workout.

Always cool down, stretch, and drink plenty of water. Replenish your body with vitamins and minerals. You can deplete your system with workout and water. So always give back to your body;) Don't over do it and get burn out. Do what you could see yourself doing 10 years from now \. I don't believe in "boot camps". No one can or wants to keep that up forever. Love yourself and your body for the long run.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 8:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• you should do weights and cardio each time. Also see if your gym will give you a trial session with a trainer
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• STA517.... What are you talking about shame on him? I never even mentioned a guy in my question... and if it means anything my man is 100% supportive in whatever I choose to do. He loves me no matter if I'm fat or in shape So i have no idea what you are talking about.
    lovinmyKNP

Comment by lovinmyKNP (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I have decided to do a 6 day work out every week. I start the week with an hour cardio workout then the next 4 days I do 30 minutes cardio with 30 minutes of alternating muscle workouts then on the 6th day I do an hour cardio workout and then take a day off. That sounds good right?
    lovinmyKNP

Comment by lovinmyKNP (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010