What does this 'say' about me & the kind of person I am?

I always feel guilty for talking about myself. Like I don't want the focus to be on me. I mean I want people to know if I'm sick or something, but I don't want to be the one to have to do the telling.
I think I'm TOO afraid that people with think I'm trying to get sympathy or pity if I talk about my problems to them. Kinda feels like I don't think I'm worth wasting their time on and they'll end up being my friend out of pity or something, and I hate that. This really does keep me from making friends. I've always been everyone elses sounding board, I don't know how to let it be okay for people to be there for me I think.

There's gotta be something associated with this, a reason why I would be like this, but I don't get it.
Anybody else ever feel like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• women are taught to be the caregivers - be modest, caring and pretty much suck it up. Of course we feel guilty asking for help or being unable to do it all....
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 6:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yupp, were socially constructed to act this way. i make a joke that its in our DNA but really its how we learned to act because of society
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Maybe you prefer just being a good listener? I save all the crap,problems,drama in my life to talk about with my mom. girls for some reason would misinterpret my meaning or feel insulted when i told them MY problems. so id just save it for someone who understands where im coming from. And as a friend i am the shoulder to cry on and the best listener
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 6:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• the longest without was 6 weeks after cervical cancer surgery. other than that 5 weeks after our son was born. both were way to long!
    SMRagan

Answer by SMRagan at 6:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have always been that way---since I was a little kid. No matter how awful I felt, I kept quiet about it because I didn't want to bother anyone or have someone feel sorry for me. I am still like that. And I am quiet and would rather listen than talk. People think I am a snob but its just that I am quiet and don't want attention. Is that crazy? LOL.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think you are a shy person. But,---the fact that you are always modest and self-effacing bothers you. Calmly earn to stand up for yourself... REMEMBER : NO ONE CARES MORE ABOUT YOU THAN YOU. ( This is a Life Fact. )
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 10:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2010