if you are NOT african american

Do you think you would like to or would be able to raise an african american child? Why or why not?

imuney

Asked by imuney at 6:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Of course, why not? African American, European America, Asian American... Who cares... A child is a child is a child...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• A child is a child is a child, color or ethnic background is irrelevant to me.

Answer by older at 6:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i honesly think i could, although it would break my heart to see all the discrimination my child would face. like PP said a child is a child
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yes I have a nephew who is bi-racial and love him deary but I do get looks since he's 11 and mine are 15,9,6, he just kinda fits in the middle
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 6:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• ditto Older.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Why not? They're all kids, regardless of what race they are. The only thing I'd have to learn about is how to take care of their hair and skin, since my co-worker/friend has taught me it's quite different from mine, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes.I have actually thought about adopting an African American baby. Any race for that matter would be fine,but this is something we do plan on doing in the later future.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• if i were ever in that position yes, people do not put in requests before they are born as to what color they will be, a child in need is just that, a child in need.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• A child is a child and they require the same love and care. I may need some help learning to do their hair but I'd get it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I know plenty of people out here who have adopted african american children and don't deal with discrimination that some assume they would.. This isn't 1952....
    Of course I could! My neices and nephews are mixed, my cousins are phillipino, and my son is mexican. So to me, a kid is a kid is a kid.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010