Why is it so Taboo not to teach your children about Jesus?

I am a Pagan Mother. My DH is Christian. However, we don't teach my children Christianity, I don't believe that way so why would I? Yet I was recently told that any "Good Mom" would put her own beliefs aside and teach her children about Jesus...

Now, I can understand teaching your children about Jesus if you are Christian, but being I'm not, why should I be expected to teach that? Does that even make sense? I mean, I don't know many Christian parents who "put their beliefs aside" and teach their children about the Great Goddess...

Now, for argument sake I don't teach my children ANY religious beliefs, they will discover those as they choose to, and I do my best to expose them to a number of belief systems, including Christian...

Why does the idea that I don't teach Jesus make me a "Bad Mom" when the converse isn't true?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It does not make you a bad mom!

Answer by older at 6:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with teaching your kids about other religions, and their beliefs to show them that not everyone believes the same thing. It teaches tolerance. I wouldn't say you are a bad mom. But I do feel it's wrong to bash other religions(not saying YOU are)to my children.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't know about every 'good mom' putting aside their own religious beliefs to teach about Jesus, but all people have physical, emotional, mental and spiritual needs. Children have these needs, too, and teaching children about religion nutures their spiritual need.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 6:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I do not think it make you a bad mom because you don't teach them about Jesus. I personally think that children should be taught something so they have a foundation to build off of. I have taught my children about many different religions and beliefs because I do not want them to walk blindly into the workd not know anything.

I think we all do what we think is best and you have done nothing wrong.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't say you are a bad mom. But I do feel it's wrong to bash other religions(not saying YOU are)to my children.

How does not teaching a child a religion's dogma equate to bashing that religion? I seriously doubt even a hundredth of the Christian mothers on this site have taught their children the first thing about Krishna, Freya, Muhammad or the Dalai Lama. Does that mean all those Christians are bashing the other religions?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If your community is very Christian it would benefit your children to understand their religions. Currently we live in a foreign country with a Buddhist population ~ my children have been exposed to a variety of different beliefs and can choose to honor and accept the good in each individual, in or out of our own faith.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 6:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• We believe that religion & spirituality is personal and that it's not something someone else can choose for you. Because of this we do not teach RELIGION, instead we prefer to expose our children to as many paths as we can, mostly through myths & stories. And when they have questions we give them the best answer we can - together. Because my DH and I don't agree on religious beliefs it's hard to really enforce either path without calling the other wrong, so we simply don't go there. We raise our children to have a respect for all religious beliefs, cultures and peoples, because we believe a the core we are all connected...

Apparently the fact that I expose my children to numerous religions wasn't upsetting, but the fact that I don't teach Jesus over all else put me in the "bad mom" category... Which honestly upset me.. I just found it rather offensive!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You are not a bad mom, and I know I am not either. I will teach my kids about jesus from my point of view. He was a great man who lived and died. His life was spent showing others love from the heart and taught tolerance and forgiveness for all.
    I will also inform them of the idea that others believe him to be a god, but some don't such as me. But they must decide within their own heart what spiritual path they will follow. And that their heart will tell them which path to go down...they need only listen.
    If someone wishes to call me a bad mom for that, because it makes THEM feel better....go for it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• "but the fact that I don't teach Jesus over all else put me in the "bad mom" category... Which honestly upset me.. I just found it rather offensive! "

It is offensive. But also shows their insecurity within their belief system for that person. Honestly, I feel bad for them. As they must be very scared of all others and their beliefs.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• NotPaniking, I shared how I feel, and what I teach my kids. It's what works for me and my home. My mother is a Christian, and I did learn about other religions from her. It doesn't mean we followed them. You are taking what I said out of context and using it to argue. If you want to bash other religions, bash away. It just doesn't work for me. Thanks.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010