I'm in such a dilimma! I have a great opportunity to move and become an apartment manager, which means I won't need to spend money on rent and all utilities...the bad news is, I can't move with my 10yr old dog. People are telling me to put her down, but I don't have the heart ...

I've been living at my current apt for 7yrs now with my 2 girls and SO, with our 10yr old Pit Bull. We have been trying to move for almost 5 years now, and the reason why we can't is because of our dog.
Now, I have an awesome opportunity to move and manage apartments, which would save us so much money because we would get free rent and all utilities paid. The bad news is, we can't have our dog. People are telling us to put her down, but I don't have the heart and I think it is selfish knowing she still has alot of love to give and life left in her. The other idea I had is to give her up to a nice family that can pay attention to her and have a yard to run around in, since shes lived in an apartment for 10 years. When I mention this, my family says, " Don't you think she would die of a broken heart?" I want to at least give her a chance and I don't want miss this opportunity for myself as well as my family. Any suggestions?

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Pets

• You are just going to have to make a choice. It's not easy. I love my dogs, I have three. I made a commitment to keep them, but I know at the blink of an eye things have a way of going really wrong. But I would not allow my family to suffer financially because I want to keep a dog. I just couldn't do it. I love my pets, but my family comes first, always.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Putting her down would't even be an option for me.I would find her a good home or take her to a no kill shelter.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 6:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You could always put an "adoption" ad in your local paper.
    chellebelle7486

Answer by chellebelle7486 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Or you could find a family member that might take her in so that way you will still be able to see her occasionally.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 6:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Find her a good home.
    Donna2468403

Answer by Donna2468403 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Don't put her down. You're family wouldn't be willing to take her, or even any friends...that way you and your kids can still see her and somewhat take care of her. Maybe you offer to still buy food and take care of vet bills given that she's still your dog, ya know?

If not...then if you really want the job, find a good home or, like Simplicity3 said, a no kill shelter.

I know my dogs are like my children, so it would be nearly impossible to let them go, but if it's what's best for your family, then unfortunately it's what you have to do...but I KNOW I could never put them down for anything other than ending their suffering...and even then it will be VERY difficult...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 6:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Find someone to take her. They're wonderful dogs, someone will want her.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Honestly, I can't think of ANY circumstance (other than health) where I would be able to put my dog down... Then again, I couldn't imagine having to give my dog up, I'm fortunate I'm not in your shoes. However, I would say finding the dog a new home would be much better than just killing her because she's "inconvenient"... I agree with iluvmykidsxoxo, being able to put her with a family member or close friend would be ideal.... Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Find her a good home!!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I know what I have to do now, since I know putting her down is not an option! Unfortunately, I don't have any friends or family that can take her because they already have dogs, and she doesn't get along very well with dogs. She is fine with cats though. Even though it would be very hard to give her away, I think if I found her a good home with a teenaged kid to love her, and rough house with her,she should eventually be ok. This is EXTREAMLY hard for me to say or even think about, especially since she is sitting right next to me. She never leaves my side. I love her so much, but if I find the right family, close by, and will let us visit her, I would feel so much better, than giving her to a shelter and never seeing her again.
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2010