What do I do when my 8 yr old son steals and lies?

I have an 8 yr old son that loves to lie and steal money or candy and i did everything from taking everything away putting him in time out grounding him from TV toys friends outside i am running out of ideas and its so frustrating sometimes cause its hard can anyone give me any advice please thank u

motherat27

Asked by motherat27 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If one of my children stole, I would make them take it back to the person they stole from, tell said person they stole, and say sorry. I would also make the pay for said item and give it back anyway. I would also punish them for a very long time. As for telling the truth, I would wash his mouth out with soap and call him out on every untruth. I only except the truth.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i know this sounds mean but some kids just dont get it till it happens to them. i would do my erronds while he was at school so he wouldnt be in the store. also i would take a few of his fav. things from him while he was at school and when he asks simply say. rerember when you wanted something you took it well maybe somebody wanted your stuff. add to the missing items each day. dont break and let him know or give them back. after a couple of weeks maybe days depending on the child. sit down and talk to him about how it feels to have all his stuff taken. and how the other person must have felt when he stole from them. if he really seems to get it then i would return his stuff the next day while he was at school. dont tell him it was you just that maybe the other person felt bad and returned it.
    sttawardnas

Answer by sttawardnas at 12:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Let him know how disappointed you are in him, how sad it makes you that he stole and lied. Ask him why he feels he needs to do these things. Tell him again how wrong it is.
    Try to figure out what is going on that he is doing this and get to the root of the problem
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 6:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010