What to do when your 2 yr old spits?

I have a 2 yr old that loves to spit when u tell her no not to do that just when u tell her what to do and i don't know what to do any advice please thank u.

motherat27

Asked by motherat27 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you need to make sure she knows spitting is an outdoor activity. Make it like a sport with its own arena. Just like no ball throwing, no yelling/screaming in the house, no spitting in the house. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 6:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• With my son I don't just say "no," I tell him when the appropriate time to spit is. I say "Simon, we don't spit on the floor, we only spit in the sink when we brush our teeth." I say it like an instruction, not like a reprimand. If he still won't stop I get down on his level, take him by the arm, and look him in the eye and say "You're not listening to Mommy, you need to have your listening ears on, I just told you that this is not where you spit." Then I make him repeat to me where it is okay to spit.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• while this may simply be a bad habit, it could also be that she may be sick and producing more saliva or may be having problems with her teeth that could be causing a bad taste in her mouth, giving her the feeling that she neds to spit. If it is just out of bad habit try time out or another punishment but whatever you choose be consistant and she will stop.
    paulslady2004

Answer by paulslady2004 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My son was doing this for a while recently, and (fingers crossed) I think he's over it for now. I just kept telling him no, and if he didn't listen he was put in time outs. I think he was getting some of his back molars in, so it may have started because of extra saliva. I told him to spit in a napkin if he needs to spit (or wants to spit something out--like a food he doesn't like), but other than that he was given time outs after the first warning.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010