How do u get your 5 yr old to help clean his room?

My 5 yr old thinks he doesn't have to help clean anything not his room or the front room and when i tell him he has to do it he wines and cry's what can i do to make cleaning fun for him what kind of reward system can i put him on any advice please thank u

motherat27

Asked by motherat27 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First you have to make it fun and teach him at the same time. When we clean we out music on and everyone signs and dances. Sometimes cleaning goes a little slower this way, although in the end it all gets done.

If you want to set up a reward system you cna either use a calendar with stickers or a jar with colored marbles. These both worked great for us. Now that my children are older I out there stuff on a chair in the living room and they have to take care of it before they eat dinner.

What I would do with the rewards it I would give him a sticker everytime he helps without complaining. After "X" amount of stickers let him have a treat liek going out for ice cream or having his favorite dinner.

It is not always easy and it does take a lot of work, although gettting them to help is a great thing.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• get tough. tell him what is left on his bedroom floor will be thrown in the trash. You don't actually have to just hide them...and keep doing it til he learns to put them away himself. My sister does this for her kids it works. I have evn done it to my 2yr old and he puts his toys back
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 7:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You do it in short bursts - pick up all the blue things, pick up everything with wheels, pick up 10 things, pick up things that start with "b", etc. It takes a lot of "babysitting" them while they do it until they get the hang of it. If you still get an attitude, that's when the garbage bag comes out - whether you are throwing things out for real or just putting all the toys "in time out" for a week, stick to your guns and be consistent. Either idea - it's the consistency that matters. If he knows he can throw a fit and you'll do it anyway, he'll just keep throwing fits, and it will take a lot of individual instances, many weeks in a row, before he's convinced that throwing a fit won't work anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• he more than old enough to clean his own room by himself. my son is 5 and he has the choice of cleaning it himself or i take away all his toys
    kcook55

Answer by kcook55 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It can be overwhelming for a kid, they don't know where to start. Give specific instruction -- put the cars in that box, then put the balls in the corner. Help him at first, then gradually let him do more and more himself.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 6:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Absolutely no rewards other than praise for a job well done. I have found that situations present themselves for the kids to decide that cleaning their room is a good thing. Usually, it's something like they can't find something. So, we go to the room and gee, what a mess. So, I tell them that if the room was clean, they could probably find it. If they want help, the only help I give is telling them what goes where, but I don't actually put it there for them. Do this a few times, and they catch on.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2010