Do you feel it's rude...

To be asked if you want a tip added to your bill if you are using a credit card to pay the bill? My DH and I went out for lunch earlier this week and DH used the credit card to pay the bill and was asked "Would you like to add a tip to the amount?" A few weeks ago we used cash to pay the bill and were not asked about adding a tip to the amount of the bill. I used to wait tables and understand how important a tip can be.

Robsmommy

Asked by Robsmommy at 7:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I think asking about the tip is like asking for a gift.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have been in customer service for 15 years, and I was taught to never expect a tip, and not to concern yourself with how they will tip.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I dont think its rude. I usually like when they ask because i know i want to give a tip just dont have cash...and its good for the reminder
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 7:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• not at all.. some machines need to have the amount added in before the card is ran.. no biggie.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No because I don't alwayscarry cash so I add the tip to the card
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 7:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• no

Answer by older at 7:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No...
    lovelikecrazy

Answer by lovelikecrazy at 7:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• if there is a spot on the reciept for the tip, then no. but if there is, i would mostlikely leave a smaller tip
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You can adjust a tip after they leave so they really don't need to know right away.I have never been to an establishment that has asked me that, ever. And a lot of the time they don't want you to do it on the credit card because they pay fees and taxes on them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't think it's rude.... When you pay cash, they probably assume you left the tip on the table. When you pay by credit card, usually you'd add the tip to the charge, and they have to know that before they run your card...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010