emotional abuse vs. physical abuse?

do you believe that emotional abuse is more destructive than physical abuse? when someone constantly puts you down and never encourages you, blames you for every fault, and believes he himself is faultless, are you being abused? can you lay claim to the statement "i've been abused" when your in front of a judge filing for divorce?

ginnylyn

Asked by ginnylyn at 7:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• yes
    emotional abuse can leave scars just as physical abuse can.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, emotional abuse leaves deep scars....it steals your sense of yourself....your confidence....makes you doubt yourself.....and is hell to live with...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Physical pain goes away, often emotional cannot. It is a defense and reason for divorce and any judge should grant it, even contested.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 7:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think that both are equally as bad. I think you can say you were abused, even though he never hit you. They are both cruel and no one should ever hurt someone else either way.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You could but then it would be your word against his in court. I would advise that you retain legal counsel. One that is known for his litigation abilities.
    chellebelle7486

Answer by chellebelle7486 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't say that it's MORE destructive, but it can be JUST AS destructive. Often times physical abuse comes along with emotional abuse, but emotional abuse can happen on it's own. I think when you start getting into what kind of abuse is worse, you loose focus on the fact that NO abuse is acceptable.

As far as getting in front of a judge, it can be a lot harder to prove emotional abuse because a lot of times it ends up being his word against hers where as with physical abuse there are often physical signs (and sometimes even hospital records). However, it is valid and most courts are aware of it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think t hey're both equally bad. Yes, physical pain goes away, but that doesn't mean physical abuse doesn't leave emotional scars, too. But emotional abuse can do every bit as much damage as physical abuse. I was in a verbally/mentally abusive relationship for 8 years, myself. As far as claiming it, I don't know, it never came up in our divorce...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• First, yes, I could stand there and tell the judge I was abused. By my ex, not my current husband. Mostly emotionally, but a little physical. I'm not always sure which one is worse though. With physical, you get emotional as well. You will always, well, for a long time, cower when you think someone is about to hit you, that's emotional. But, with pure emotional, it takes a LONG time to get over all the statements about how much you suck. How much you have ruined this or that, or you are ugly. Whatever their choice words were. Physical abuse I think can be worked out better then emotional abuse, maybe?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Abuse is abuse and instead of trying to quantify which versionis MORE painful or MORE destructive, as if that makes it MORE valid to combat, why aren't we banding together, saying abuse is wrong period and working to reduce and eliminate all abuse, and to support abuse victims, regardless of the type of abuse endured?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• both are equally as bad...yes i could lay claim to an abuse statement in front of a judge...and i have.....because it also extended to the children he only got supervised visitation and since he refuses to let anyone supervise him he hasn't seen the children in 3 years ! and they are much better off without him. the judge raked him over the coals....i recorded everything i could and he never denied it because he didn't see there was anything wrong with what he was doing.....
    Anonymous