Your input on donor eggs

Hello all, I just had my IVF cancelled because I made no eggs and at 42 I just found out that I am headed towards menopause. Just wondering what opinions I can get from anyone out there on their views of using a donor egg. I was told by my IVF doctor that this is my only option. My husband and I don't want to adopt.
Thank you,

cedinoc

Asked by cedinoc at 7:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Strange situation. I wish you the best.
    chellebelle7486

Answer by chellebelle7486 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• if this is your only option and you really want a child, then do it.
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 7:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with it!

Just because it's a donor egg does not in anyway mean that the child is not yours. YOU are carrying the baby, YOU are taking the prenatals, worrying about what you eat, feeling your baby kick inside, giving birth and then there are all the things you do once the baby is outside the womb.

You will still get YOUR baby....you just need the help of other loving women who WANT you to have that!

There are of course issues that you may want to consider. If your child needs a blood or tissue donor...you might not be a match...but then again if you use your own eggs you still might not be a match. The child may wonder about the egg donor...there are counslers to help you handle this properly.

I did want to add though...If IVF fails will you stop trying or will you then consider adoption? If you want to carry a baby GO FOR IT but don't discount adoption all together. Can be rewarding!!
    Anonymous

• I don't know about your doctor or your particular situation, but I had my son when I was 41 and my daughter when I was 42. (I'm turning 43 in Dec) It is possible to still conceive on your own, but I completely understand not wanting to wait, especially if your doctor says you have a low egg count. If it were me, there would be a slight twinge of wanting the egg to be my own. But I wanted to be a mommy and would have done any and everything possible to be one. I absolutely loved carrying my children regardless of the nausea, and other side affects!! It is a wonderful feeling and I would rather have a donor egg and have that experience and bond then to adopt. But if I couldn't get a donor, I would still feel blessed to foster a child or adopt.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Thank you for all of your comments. I can not conceive on my own. According to my IVF doctor I have an FSH of 18 and it needs to be 10 and under. My hormone levels are very low and even on all of the IVF drugs my hormone levels were low and she said they shouldn't be. I was also told that I am heading towards menopause. I have major sleeping issues and my doctor said it is due to the low hormone levels. She perscribed me a low dose birth control pill to help with my menopausal symptons. she did say it is time to proceed to a donor egg because there is nothing else she can do for me. I even asked her if maybe I could try other IVF drugs to make eggs and was wondering if my body might respond to those better. She said no. Adoption is not an option for me and the donor egg I am considering. I am not going to jump into it tomorrow. I want to give it a few months to settle.
    cedinoc

Comment by cedinoc (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010