Help... Severe writers block!!

Okay, so I have a huge passion for writing. Songs, Poetry, short stories. I can take any experience and turn it in to a work of art. I even have quite a few things published. An average I would write 3-4 pieces a day. Now it's been two years and I have struggled with my writing and trying to find the words. I haven't written a single thing in two years! I can't get past this writer's block.

I have plenty to write about. Two years ago my father murdered my best friend and then drug me into the middle of the crime scene AND tried to hang me on the charges that he committed. For two years I have been suffering PTSD. For two years my marriage has been on the last string and barely hanging on. So many life events have taken place... and no words have come of any of it.

Is this seriously the end to my writing career? Is there any hope that I will get past this?? I am pretty sure that I have tried nearly everything!

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 8:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• 1 thing you could try is just write whatever comes into your head, even if it is gobbledegook. Sometimes just the basic act of writing can help.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Hmmm, you certainly have been through a lot of stuff. Maybe you are still healing from it all. Try a change of scenery. Like Creating78 said just write, I think it's called free flow writing. Or maybe try writing something different like a short story; it might spark something.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• To break the block, you have to write. Even if you just sit there staring at a blank screen or paper. Set a time each day to write and don't stop until your time is up. Don't edit, don't spell check until the time is up. Have you tried writing promps?

But what about writing your story? Writing what has happened to you in the last two years? Diary form perhaps? It might get the words flowing again.

Maybe even just scribbling your emotions over and over would help. Or start a daily diary. Record the weather, food you ate, things you did, places you went, etc and gradually add more info as you go on. Maybe just the act of recording words with jog the block loose.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• PP's are right: You HAVE to write.

I don't know what the 'nearly everything' you've already tried is, but try writing something you don't usually write. If you've been writing about what happened, go to the other end of the spectrum and write a sweet and happy fantasy. If you've been avoiding writing about what happened; take the darkest, most painful piece, and write about that...just write it out of you.

Whatever you do, don't give up writing. Writing is one of your dearest friends, don't shut her out. If you have to write "her" a note about how much you miss and love her...but always keep her close.

Hope this helps. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• writiing about emotions works sometimes.

If you have unfinished works, try to finish them now that you have this block; personally i reread my unfinished work from the begining and post the pages on the wall, draw little breather pictures and put them there too, and become part of my story. At night i usually have dreams about it, if i remember anything i jot it down find a place or a way for it to fit in, and BAM!, keep going from there.

But maybe if it's that bad write about your experiences in life... i don't know if you ever read VC ANDREWS books but i used to love them. I really hope you don't give up your passions just because it's been two years... two years+ doesn't matter if you love it that much
    MakG

Answer by MakG at 1:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• When the body is fighting to survive, it shuts down non-essential functions. Probably your emotions are doing the some of the same thing. Also, with all you are going through, it would be very easy to become overly critical of every little thing. There is a NaNoWriMo challenge. Maybe try something like that. Write a bunch of words. Not good writing. Not inspired writing. Just slap something down.

Your writing WILL come back to you. Promise. I used to be a musician. My vocal coach suddenly died without my knowledge, I felt quite abandoned. My music is coming back to me after almost 10 years. I was always hoping it would come back like a tsunami flooding me with inspiration. Nope. It's coming back slowly, gently, quietly in children's play songs. ?!
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 2:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Perhaps... You need to sit down and re-read your former writings. Notice how good they are. Maybe it will inspire you to continue on !!!
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 4:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010