My father is offering to pay half of our daughter's private school tuition.... but

It costs $10,000 a year. He said he would pay half which leaves us paying the other half but it is over a 10 month period. Thing is, he also said he would pay for my niece's. He told me that once my niece starts, the amount for us might lessen. The kicker is, if we decide to have another baby, we might not be able to afford the tuition for both our kids. I applied for financial aid but not sure if I will get it or not. So my question is, should I send my daughter and worry about the other baby's tuition later? Or send my daughter to a magnet or a charter school so that our children can go to the same school together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are the schools really bad in your area? Do you have to go to private?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Play it safe and send her to regular school.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• the only guaratee you have right now is your daughter... you're not pregnant right? so base it on whats best for your daughter now and when/if another child comes, then think about it then...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 8:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i would put her in the private school and then worry about your other child when your having the other child.. your not even pregnant yet so
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• how old is ur dd? check out the online private and public schools thru the k12 website. Their private schools are cheaper than that, and they can do it online from home.
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Do you live by bad public schools? I just couldn't imagine paying that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• What is wrong with public schools in your area?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would NOT do it if your child is younger than middle school age. I think the majority of public schools are FINE between grades K-5, it's when you get to grades 6-12 that I think the most problems centered around peer pressure occur.

We are reserving the possibility of sending our children to private school starting in 5th grade--oldest is currently 3rd grade and has special needs. BUT, I want to first see what our public lower middle school is going to offer my child first. If I think his needs will not be met, then we will send them to a private school that WILL meet his (their) needs.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• However, if your father is willing, I would accept his $5000 per year and put it into an education fund that you cannot touch until you are ready to spend it on your child/childrens education(s) , and there that money will grow--instead of wasting it now, or having to come up with an extra $500 per month to fund it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2010