my child's philosophical question... if you dare, what would you have said to this?

Is dr. octopus (from spiderman 2) going to hell.
(background if you arent a spiderman buff, auto octavious became doc octopus when a science experiment failed - he was trying to make a clean renewable energy source. his brain is controlled by the robotic arms, causing him to hurt people/ terrorize the city, in the end, doc oct. is thrown against a wall, breaking the arms in a way that frees his brain from their control, and he saves the city) 5 yr old asking it... what do you think you should say...

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 8:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A 5 yr old can't really grasp the full concept of heaven or hell, but I guess the proper answer based on christianity would be it would depend on whether or not he asked jesus into his heart and if he asked for forgiveness for his sins.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• lol my son asks funny questions like that too.... I honestly would say yes because he didn't ask for forgiveness of his sins. Yes he did good in the end by saving the world and all that but he didn't ask for forgiveness, so yes he would. IMO.
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would say that Dr. Oct is going to Heaven because he learned from his mistakes and did good in the end.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You should tell him the truth. The movie & all the characters are not real, therefore none of them would go to Heaven or hell. However, if a real person wasn't in control of their thoughts or behavior, they wouldn't be held accountable & would go to Heaven.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would tell my son MY belief which is, I don't know for sure because only God knows what is in his heart and if he truly repents his sins. It is not for me to decide his place in eternity, but it is for me to decide how I behave and be in control of my place in eternity. Everyone makes mistakes, but learning and changing our ways can make all the difference. Doing right always feels better than doing bad. I think you are happier in life when you always strive to have your actions reflect your love of God.

Now, my 19 yr old son, whom I "preached" this above belief to his entire life - would just tell your son "Karma is a bitch. Do the right thing". LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I always throw the question back at my children. Well, what do you think? and Why do you think that? And then after discussing what they think, if they still want to know what I think I will tell them. My boys are 4 and 6, and already know that I do not believe in god, heaven, hell, angels, etc... so I would have said; Since I do not believe hell is a real place, I don't think anyone goes there.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• That all depends on if insane people end up in hell lol. We should call and check.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I'd ask him what he thinks and leave it at that...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If he saves the city in the end, then he turned out good, right?
    What does your 5 yr old think about it?
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 6:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would say, "No, he got lucky and fictitious characters don't go to hell. Otherwise, he'd be in bad shape."
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010