Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Should he be able to see her?

I got a call from my ex bf...because he got the court papers for the DNA test. He told me that he had "mental stress issues" and can't handle the care of our daughter, he wants to sign over rights and he does not want to pay child support. I have agreed to meet him to talk about things. He has never seen his child but when I asked if he want me to bring her he said yes...he honestly sounded sincere. So my question is should he be able to see her?

Answer Question

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 8:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 6 (137 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • sure, i would bring her. i would really try and talk to him .. if he really doesnt love her and want to be a part of her life then obviously she is better off without him, but when she grows up, she will probably be upset that her daddy isnt around so if theres any way around that, i would try.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • I wouldn't meet with him without your lawyer there

    Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • Yes. He is the father. He deserves to see her. I wouldn't be too quick to sign off on getting child support but that is your decision. It's hard raising a baby. Good luck to you.

    Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • Yes, he should be able to see her. He will not get his parental rights terminated for the reasons you posted.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • yes, also he should pay child support& not relinquish his rights, im telling you this because that is exactly what i did, i let him sign over his rights& i regret it like hell, if he really has mental stress issues then hey why not get ssi, if thats really the issue as to why he cant support her& if he gets denied for ssi, then that means he can get a job& can pay child support.Pls dnt feel bad or sorry for him, thats why i did w/my sons father& now i dnt get a dime from him, yet he has money to buy beer& just recently some girl filed for child support& that other kid will be getting money from his dad but my son wont.

    Answer by gabby06 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • how old is your little one? if she is old enough to wonder who he is, i would probably not take her... if she's an infant, then maybe... here is my reasoning: if she's old enough to wonder who he is and you tell her its her dad, and then he disappears from her life, that would be very painful...

    Answer by babymar at 8:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • she is only 7 months old and he is the one who wants to sign away rights I don't want him too.

    Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • she is almost 7 months. he is currently collecting a disability check. he is also the one who wants to sign away rights i dont want him to.

    Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • No, don't confuse the situation.

    Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

  • If he signs over his rights do you not get child support? I know that if he has disability he still can pay child support.

    Answer by Jenaiko01 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN