How to discipline my four year old non verbal autistic child? Please help!

My son is 4 years old and is non verbal. He refuses to learn sign lang, and we are trying to use pictures..work in progress. He goes to a preschool part time and after school we live by a routine. When at home we have a 22 by 22 play/living room. Gates at stairs and kitchen. He has safety all around yet found a way to pull stuffing out of couch, ripe 3 sets of blindes and won't listen to me. i have tried time out, soap, alittle spank he laughs and keeps going. He only hits me, and gets very violent and throws things at my heaad.

Samoei36

Asked by Samoei36 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Start taking away toys
    I feel for you. You couldn't even imagine the damage my autistic son has done to the house. i guess you're not going to be able to ever leave him alone for 1 second!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• that is a understatement. I was a nanny for 16 years prior to having my son. I am blessed and he is my life, but these toddler stages are kicking my butt...My husband is wonderful with him, but we are afraid to take him around typical kids especially at park he pushes, laughs at this, runs in every direction( he is fast ) and just know I have to be one step ahead every second we are out. At home I can breath alittle but not w/o him tearing my living room up. I just don't want to keep yelling all the time. Yet that is the only thing he responds too, crazy??? He has no fav toys to take away..which sucks! I even tried putting him in his booster seat in corner with litle safety lock belt he got so mad he tipped himself over to floor.
    Samoei36

Comment by Samoei36 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Sounds like he needs more school time. My son did this stuff when he was under educated. He was only going to school for 2 hrs a day. Once he went to all day kindergarten,90% of the naughtiness disappeared

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• please keep your fingers crosses..he goes next fall to kindergarden! Right now he is in a contained classroom everyday for four hours. I love it and so does he and when we have vacations and summer i try like crazy to plan a schedule for us everyday! Do you keep saying " no Matthew no" Or I said not to do that, or do you go to him and remove him from couch area and redirect he then goes rt back to the area I took him from. What to do?
    Samoei36

Comment by Samoei36 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010