i had my little boy 3 days ago, i'm trying to breast feed, but my breasts are so full, and i can't seem to pump all the milk out, how can i get some relief, they are so tender.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh you poor baby! I so don't miss those days. The only thing that gave me relief was going under the shower with the water as hot as my boobies could stand. Other than that...there is not much else that can be done.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Whenever that happened to me, I'd take a good hot shower. A lot of times the milk will just spurt out because your muscles relax, & I always felt so much better. You may not be completely able to empty them this way, but you'll feel better. Also, your breasts will get less tender with time, once your body is used to it. Hope this helps!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• besides nursing as much as possible and taking hot showers, you can also try cabbage leaves... here's what i found...

Cabbage leaves: Women have been using cabbage leaves to relieve engorgement symptoms for years. But does this natural remedy actually work? Some women swear by it, but few research studies have been able to medically prove if cabbage leaves actually alleviate engorgement.

Cabbage leaves are usually rinsed off (and sometimes chilled) and the veins of the leaves crushed or removed. The leaves are then placed on the breast, leaving the nipple exposed. Some women place the leaves right in their bra, which helps keep them in place.

babymar

Answer by babymar at 8:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I remember that !!! I used to hand express my milk in the shower, and draw a hot bath, lay on my belly and massage my boobs, the milk would come out easy that way too.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• First let me say KUDOS on choosing to nurse your child. Please don't pump right now though. Your body needs to figure out supply and demand and pumping signals more demand then there really is which sets you up for a cycle of constant over supply and tenderness. Stand in the shower and hand express a little just until you get some relief. If you must pump then don't empty the breast, but only do it until you get a little relief. Warm compresses help as do cold for the pain. Nurse that baby whenever he is hungry especially through the night and just tough it out mama. Being that your little guy is only 3 days old I am guessing your milk has just come in and it is VERY common to feel this way the first couple days that milk comes in. It gets much better in a few days and then a lot better in a couple weeks when your body figures out the supply and demand thing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Sometimes a warm shower, and sometimes put ice on them. =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You can't spend your life in the shower. Make boob tubes! Fill a tube sock with rice. You can freeze it or heat in the microwave for 2 minutes. Yiu can wrap it around your boobs.

Nurse nurse nurse.

This doesn't last forever. You will balance out. There is a great breast feeding moms group here. Join!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Some really good info on what to do here: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

Don't pump! You will set yourself up for a much longer period of discomfort!

Nurse baby frequently. Let baby nurse as long as he likes on one side, don't switch sides after a certain time period. (He will most likely get full off of one breast since you have so much milk)

Hang in there! it will get better!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The first couple of weeks are the worst for nursing. HANG IN THERE!! I promise you, it will get better. I am nursing my third baby now and your body will adjust to what you need but it does take time. And it hurts soooo bad. I feel for you! I voted up aeneva's answer because I thought her advice was great, I just wanted to offer some support, too! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• nurse nurse nurse. and express a lil bit of milk. if you pump you will make more milk and you will get worse. let you body adjust.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010