would you give your teen a cell phone?

coolmom138

Asked by coolmom138 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yeah! I have been out of high school for 12 years and I had one then. We lived in a rural community and it made my Mom feel better letting me go places. But, that's all I used it for, I didn't call my friends, text or anything else. Now a days kids seem permanently attached to the things, so I would have rules.

I'd probably tell them I'd pay for a so many minutes a month for use if they need to call home, but they would have to pay for internet and texting services, and any other minutes above what I pay for.
    Parksey27

Answer by Parksey27 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My kids have pay as you go phones..they have to buy their own minutes...this came after the high cell phone bills.....
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yep, he has one... he's had it since 6th grade when he started playing sports after school and needed rides home...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 9:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I should add that I got stuck paying for those phone bills so I gave up and told them if it was that important then get your own phone and pay for your own minutes and they do
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, only after sports and other activities get here. Why get them a phone if their always going to be with you?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When my kids start driving, or are away from me for school activities a lot, i'll let them have one. It wont be for recreational purposes though. Limited minutes, limited text, and constant monitoring.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 9:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• my kids will get one if they are driving.!
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 9:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My kids will get one as soon as they have friends they want to start calling. My kids certainly are not going to use our new Droids to call their friends with. We are a cell only household so if they want to call ANYBODY they need one. Right now they are 6 and 7. I am assuming by age 9 they will each have their own.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• YES, at that age it is often a safety thing as well. Plus if you teen has a cell phone you can contact them whenever you want.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My 14 yr old has had one for 3 years. He can call and text as much as he wants. We have no landline so he needs one and it is a safety issue when he walks home from school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2010