Should judges be allowed to take into account whether or not a parent is biologically related to a child when making decisions in a custody hearing?

Why or why not

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• They should only if both parties are equally nurturing the child. If the biological parent is not nuturing the child then sperm/egg donation should mean absolutely nothing;
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oh and if my parents had divorced I would have hoped the courts would have considered him my father even though he adopted me. I didn't even know he wasn't my bio dad until I was 13 years old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Last I checked, the do do that. Also, when a child is removed from the home, their first place to look for placement is with a blood relative.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think they look at the overall family basis but i think usually they try to keep the child with a parent. unless ofcourse one of parents are in jail or has some extreme circumstances. now if there was an adopted parent in the picture and then the parents got divorce should the adopted parent have the same custody if the person was biological..ofcourse. its complicated and every situation is different.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well there would only be a few situations I can think of in a custody hearing that the arguing parties wouldn't both be biologically related so it doesn't really matter. With that being said my bio dad signed away rights to me and I was adopted by my mother's current husband at 6 months old. If my bio dad had decided to come back and fight for me later I would have hoped the courts would look closely at the fact that my adopted dad had raised me like his own since I was born.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Are you talking about if a one party adopts the child that is their partner's biologically? If so, then, no. If that parent is legally their parent and has done everything that a parent should do and loves and nurtures that child, no. They ARE that child's parent.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The only way I see that happening is if the non-bio parent adopts the child...and if the non-bio parent did adopt, then no, the fact that they're not the bio-parent shouldn't matter. The non bio-parent still has to take on ALL responsibilities for the child and pay CS, so why wouldn't they be allowed to fight for custody as well?
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• What do you mean, should they be "allowed". Biology is the basis for most custody issues. Can you elaborate?
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2010