How do you teach a 6 year old to clean their own bottom?

That basically says it all. My son is 6, and if I am around, still calls me to clean his bottom after he goes #2. If I am not around, he claims he does it himself, but I don't know for sure. Help?

xv35ballx

Asked by xv35ballx at 9:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• get some of those wet wipes and show him how to wipe until he gets no more stuff on it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I started to ignore my dd and she just did herself.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I haven't wiped my kids butt since they were 3! I never see skids in the undies so they must be doing it right. I would be mortified if my 6 yo dd asked me to wipe for her. I make my kids do everything for themselves that they are able to do. I haven't poured a bowl of cereal since they were 5. Now 6 and 7 yo girls. I don't mean anything bad by my comments, just my personal opinion for my household. I would just stop wiping for him.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I keep wet wipes next to the toilet and tell him to wipe his butt, he laughs and thinks I'm being funny and when I don't laugh with him and tell him again to wipe the butt with a wetwipe he then gets it and will wipe...to the best he can...do boys/guys ever do a good job?
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would go with the wipes. My daughter seemed to get the idea of wiping until the tp was clean, but my son was well into junior high before he kept leaving me presents in his skivvies! Maybe it is a boy thing, but I wish I had told him to use wipes - at least the chances he cleans himself up well the first time would have been better. LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I won't do it for him. After he does it again, I do the smell check. If he fails the smell check, we do a wipie check. If he fails that, I stand there and watch him wipe his own butt with a wipie until it's clean. GL.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010