How do i get my 2 year to know that she is not being replaced by her new baby brother?

We recently had another baby. He is now 2 months old. My daughter who is 2 is extreamly jealous to the point where there are tantrums, hitting and biting.Its not like she doesnt get any attention, so i dont think it is due to the lack of attention. so, 1) how do i get the jealousy to stop and 2) what are some good ways to get the hitting and biting to stop without spanking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your DD went from FULL attention to shared attention. Even if you think she's getting plenty, she doesn't. It's very normal.

1. Include her. Let her burp the baby. If you're using a bottle, let her hold it. Let her fetch supplies for bath or diaper changes. You CAN play and feed an infant. We played a lot of scavenger hunts/I spy as I nursed or bottle fed. I could sit in the chair with DD and give DS things to seek.

2. Nap time = Oldest's time. Nap time was completely about one-on-one time with my DS. We played out in the yard, read stories, played board games, etc.

3.Switch off with DH or grandparents. A few hours each weekend - one of you take DD on her own to something special. We still do this for both my kids (now 6 and nearing 3 1/2) and it makes a world of difference!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Toddler jealous of the new baby: iVillage
    I’ve got a two and half year old daughter who is very jealous of our new baby. She was so excited about the birth but now the novelty has worn off; ...
    www.ivillage.co.uk/parenting/presch/parbehav/qas/0,,186583_186861,00.html - 63k -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i don't know wht to tell you about the jealousy other than to maybe get her involved in the care for the baby.
    as for the other, best i can see is a time out but she's not gonna want to stay in that chair at first.
    good luck.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• She needs your full attention without the baby around. Spend one on one time with her, play with her. Then talk to her about it, she is 2 and not too young to understand it!

Time out won't work! it makes her put the anger towards the baby more!
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2008