how to protect baby's head from bumps and bruises in crib

my son is 8 months old and cannot stop trying to stand up in his crib. the problem is, he falls and is getting bumps and bruises on his head. i know crib bumpers are a no no, and i am worried if i add them, he will use them to climb out (he has already tried to climb out of play pen). any suggestions to protect his head?

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 8:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If a bumper is put on right and safely then its not a no no. I have and will use them for all of my kids. Other than a bumper IDK what to tell you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• you don't think the baby will try to use it to climb out?
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 10:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If the bumper is installed properly there's not a problem with suffocation. However, when they can pull up it IS recommended to get rid of it because they can fall out of the crib. I don't have any solutions but I just wanted to clarify that point. Mine's not there yet so I'm no help in that department.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My babe is 7 1/2 months, and has been pulling up/standing for over a month now, she has had bruises come and go all over her forehead, you really cannot avoid it without going crazy. Our bumps her head on toys "designed" to teach babes her age to stand and cruise..lol.. good luck. They are more durable than they look.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 10:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have a bumper on our crib and he has had it since he was 1 day old and he is now 10 month old. I know it is scary when you see bruises on their body (wait until they crawl-bruises on knees) but your LO is learning too.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2008