can I heat pedialite?

My daughter doesn't like to drink it if it's cold, can I heat it just enough to make it room temp? She is sick and needs to drink it. Or can I make her powder formula with it?

JaimiesMom

Asked by JaimiesMom at 8:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drugs.com instructions for Pedialyte:
    Take Pedialyte Solution by mouth with or without food.
    Do not mix Pedialyte Solution with water or any other liquid.
    Do not heat Pedialyte Solution.
    If you are using a product that contains multiple doses of Pedialyte Solution, replace the cap after opening and refrigerate. Read the product labeling to see how long this product can be used after opening before it must be thrown away.
    If you are using a product intended only for a single use of Pedialyte Solution, discard the container and any unused portion of medicine immediately after the first use.
    If you are using a product with an attached straw, hold the container gently when snipping off the cap on the attached straw. Holding the container tightly may cause the liquid to spray out. Discard the container and any unused portion of medicine immediately after the first use.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you are using a freezer-pop product, it may be frozen and then eaten as a freezer-pop, or the contents of one unfrozen sleeve may be poured into a cup or glass to drink. Immediately throw away any unused portion of the opened medicine.
    If you are using a jell cup, refrigerate it after opening. Throw away any medicine not used within 72 hours.
    Do not reuse the container.
    If you miss a dose of Pedialyte Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
    GrnEyedGrandma

• You can NOT heat it! But it only needs to be refrigerated once it's open! So you can get the pedilite singles and NOT put them in the refrigerator. The plus side to that is you would spoil less of the pedilate. (At least that has been my experience)

Pedilate is only good for 72 hours (3 days) once it's open. I found that I NEVER used the whole container in those 3 days; so I had to throw a lot of it away. Now, the singles are more pricey, but I can always have it on hand if needed. (The shelf life is LONG if NOT open); and is long as they are NOT open they can be stored IN the pantry/cabinet.

So that's what you can do if you wanted...... especially if she's drinking 8 oz in one sitting. (That's how much in in a single pack.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Uh, I wasn't told you couldn't heat it and I warmed it slightly the couple times I gave it to my son. I was always told that giving them cold things, formula, water juice mixtures or pedialite wasn't good for their tummy. I also mixed it with water. Oops, guess my doctor didn't inform me too well.....Why are they on pedialite?
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2008