Does anyone use a Roaster oven to cook their turkey?

I just bought an 18 quart roaster that can cook up to an 18lb turkey, but I've read mixed reviews about how to cook it. Anyone with experience cooking with one of these?

If it helps at all, it's an Oster brand (stainless steel and black)

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes , I cook whole chickens in them too. It's not that hard really. I take the bird, massage it with olive oil, under the skin too. Rub it down with a seasoning mix of sea salt, paprika, pepper, sage, tumeric, and sometimes a little Lawry's seasoned salt. Put it in the roaster with a small amount of water on the bottom of it. Put in on about 350 to 375 Put the lid back on the roaster and just leave it. It doesn't dry out at all.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I've read some reviews saying that it cooks much faster and doesn't brown in the roaster. Do you take it out and brown it in the oven for the last 20-30 minutes? The directions say to cook it at the same time/temp as a normal oven, but everything that I've read suggested otherwise. Thanks/
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If you turn the heat up really high the last hour it tends to brown the skin better. Yes, roaster ovens cook fast because they are small. That would be a helluva lotta work to transferr it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well, I have read a lot of people say that they transfer it. My roaster comes with something to make transferring easy. So the oil rub browns it? I just don't want any surprises on Thanksgiving. I think I"m going to buy a practice turkey.
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, the oil rub makes the skin crispy. I do it no matter how I'm making the turkey. I've been in charge of turkey for 8 years now. lol Don't get turkeyed out just yet! Buy a large whole chicken and try it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yeah....a practice chicken would be much cheaper also. Good advice, thanks. We would get sick of Turkey before thanksgiving even got here.
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• mmmmmmm chicken (homer simpson growls happening right now)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• LOL
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i made mine that way last year and it was delicious! it's the only way i will do it probably, so my oven is avalable for other sides.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2010