Turkey in the bbq?

We just recently remodeled our kitchen and don't have an oven and won't have one by the time gobble gobble day comes around. My husband say "hey, let make it in the bbq." Has anyone ever done this? I make one mean thanksgiving turkey but I don't even know where to start with this idea.

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my sister does this when we go to her house for Turkey day and it is amazing just be sure to keep an eye on the temp with a meat thermometer
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's not that hard. Are you using gas or grill? My family has done both. If you are using charcoal, you need to prepare the coals evenly. When you grill a turkey make sure you make a drip pan out of foil, and you are going to use inderect heat for about 4 to 5 hours depending on the weight.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My DH made a turkey on the grill once or twice. We have a 3 tiered grill and he took the top 2 tiers out. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what else he did. I'll try to remember to ask when he gets home.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• We had smoked turkey at my graduation party years ago that was pretty good. You could try that... I'm not sure how it was cooked (we had a few smokers going, one for the pig and one for the turkeys)..

or you could do the deep fried turkey.. just keep it far away from the house so no house fires.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2010