What do I need to watch for to make sure no stitches are needed?

My 3 and 1/2 year old pinched his finger earlier on the metal part of the foot feet on my couch. I washed it out right away and put a cool rag on it. It bled pretty bad for a little while, but got it to stop and put some neosporin and band aids on it. Gave him some tylenol and he fell asleep for a while. Im wondering because when he got stitches in his eye i got the bleeding to stop as well. I know the stitches have to happen within 12 hours of the injury so im wondering what else to look for to see if he actually needs stitches in his thumb or not.

owensmom0622

Asked by owensmom0622 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would call and ask the dr. If you live near an ER, I would go just in case. Without seeing it, I really couldn't say. You'll have to use your mommy judgement?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• They say that if you have to hold a wound together for it to stay closed then most likely it would need stitches.
    momof3blondies

Answer by momof3blondies at 10:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• my son recently busted his mouth open and i was worried about the same thing. i called my peds doc and they said as long as the bleeding stoped we'ed be fine. u can use a thing called new skin it burns but it closes the cut and u wont need stitches
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 10:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would also suggest splinting it if you don't get stitches.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Take him to the ER and let a DOCTOR look at it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010