How can I bond with my baby more if i'm not breastfeeding?

mclib

Asked by mclib at 11:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hold them close, gaze into their eyes. You can talk to them, sing to them, rub their cheek. I felt very connected to my kids even though I didn't breastfeed. You love them no matter what- and they will feel that love from you.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Just love hold and cuddle your little one when you bottle feed:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Never give a bottle propped up - always hold your baby and snuggle and cuddle to feed. I know it might be tempting when you are a busy mom but I always made sure to take that time to hold my babies and try to give them undivided attention. That isn't always easy if you have other children, but I tried. Also, infant massage is a great way to bond with your baby. Get some lotion out and rub them down, all the while talking to them and gazing at them or singing while you do it.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• hun bf is just another way to feed not a way to bond.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• ^^agreed^^

Never prob the bottle. No matter how handy it seems. ;)
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 11:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• A lot of benefits from breastfeeding come from the skin to skin contact which you can still have without breastfeeding. And an infant's eyes see almost the exact distance that their face is from the mother when nursing so when you feed a bottle hold baby close to you similar to the way you would if nursing and look into their face so they can look at you. Other than the way you feed your baby the other bonding stuff is all the same- snuggling, talking to, bathing, etc.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I didn't breastfeed either one of my girls. I had wanted to but did not produce enough milk so I formula fed. When I would give them their bottles I would sit in their rooms, lights dimmed, rocked them in the glider. While feeding them i would either sing a song that had some meaning to it or talk to them. Tell them how much I loved them, my hopes and dreams for them. If that day they learned something new I told them how proud of them I was. 5 years later my dd and I talk often and about everything. She shares with me everthing about school and playdates. Our relationship is close and still growing. My relationship with my 2 year old isgreat too. She's my buddy, we do everything together. We didn't miss out on any bonding just because I formula feed.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Hold her and stare at each other =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Your baby will feel the bond everytime you talk to, sing to, feed, change, or bathe her. Just doing your everyday mommy activities creates the bond!
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 8:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I was unable to breast feed any of my kids. I bonded with them during pregnancy, didn't you?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2010