Every time I put my son down to do something he start's throwing a fit! Is there anything I can do to break him from this?

For example if I need to do laundry I will put my 1 year old son in his play pin and he will start throwing a little fit by screaming his head off until I pick him back up. It's been like this ever since he was little & I didn't even carry him around alot when he was young. Please help thanks.

SkylersMOMMYO9

Asked by SkylersMOMMYO9 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't pick him back up until you are ready to. He will get the hint after a bit. He can cry some, it's ok.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I tried that and he cried so much that he started to throw up I was so scared I didnt know what to do and I even bought one of those things that attach to your chest so I dont gotta carry him around and he still knew the difference. :(
    SkylersMOMMYO9

Comment by SkylersMOMMYO9 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Can you just put him down at your feet? How old is he? You have to start saying no, if he knows he can make you cave it will never get better. :-( Crying til he gets sick is no good, so work with him on it. Just cause you did not carry him a lot when he was little, it sounds like you are making up for it now. So lets say you are holding him and need to make the bed. Put him down right there, let him hear you and see you. Give him a lovie or toy. Reach down and touch him as you walk by. Know what I am saying? He will get that you are not leaving him forever.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I know he upset himself to the point of throwing up, but I still agree with your first answer. Let him cry. Give him lots of toys to play with and walk out of the room. It won't happen the first time but he will learn to amuse himself.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well I didnt carry him alot when he was little because my family members were saying that if I carry him all the time like I would of liked to then he would want to be held all the time like he want's to be now. Which really didnt help at all, And that sounds really like a really good idea I mean he is fine when I put his favorite movie on and lay there with him. But I mean if I even get up to fix something he starts back up again.
    SkylersMOMMYO9

Comment by SkylersMOMMYO9 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oh And thanks for the advice everyone! I will try it out when he wakes up and I have stuff to do I will keep you posted on how it goes (:
    SkylersMOMMYO9

Comment by SkylersMOMMYO9 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Pay less attn to him. I know it sounds terrible, but the more you ay attn to them the more they want.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think a 1 year old is a bit old for a playpen. Maybe you could put him in front of his toy box or on a blanket with some toys. He is far too old to be trapped in a playpen. My daughter loves "helping'" me with laundry....let him be a part of things. It will give him a sense of more independence.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• my son use to cry so bad he'd throw up n even start changing colors from all that screaming, i would give n cause i didnt want him 2 do that but i did what his doctor said leave his toys out all day n a specific area n when i wanted to do something sit n play 4 a second then say hey mommy b right back u keep ur blocks company n i was able to walk off 4 just a minute n hed come crying n id go bac sit n play n then get up n walk out again after doing that 4 about a week he just said forget it let her go n imma build my blocks n let her leave so now hes 18 months old he doesnt care if i leave the room 4 a long period of time he will sit n his lil gated community n play, oh yeah we have that big huge gate thats n a circle n our den so he doesnt wonder off n get nto something
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• What you are doing is teaching him that if he throws a big enough fit, you will come pick him up. To break him of this, while you are still holding him say "Mommy needs to go do the laundry. You play with your toys and when I come back, if you are a good boy we will build blocks together. Be a good boy - no crying." Set him in the playpen and "that's my good boy, no crying!" with a smile on your face. When he starts to cry look into his eyes and frown. Say "no, I said no crying" in a calm soft voice. If he stops crying smile BIG & say "GOOD BOY! Keep playing & I will be right back." Either way, DO NOT PICK HIM UP!! When you finish your task & are ready to play with him (make sure you DO play with him as promised) go to him. Before picking him up, if he's NOT crying smile & say "GOOD BOY for no crying!! Yay!!" and pick him up and do a little happy dance. Tell him again what a good boy he was to obey mama. CONT'D
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2010