Is there an alternative to a traditional "baptism?"

My husband and I are spiritual people, but not necessarily religious. I want to have some type of ceremony for my daughter, but am not looking to do an outright baptism. I'm looking for ideas/alternatives. Any ideas?

teamdewitt

Asked by teamdewitt at 9:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• dedications....although I don't know what churches do those.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have seen other types of ceremonies where you choose a special verse or poem have close friends and family, it doesn't have to be in a church, you can do it in a home or park, wherever you want. You could even write your own blessing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You can do a baby dedication, but in my own opinion these are very important ceremonies that should be done out of the love of the Lord and wanting to raise your child knowing him, not for traditional reasons. If you're Catholic or Luthren they do water baptism at birth and in non-denominational churches, baptist, or other wait till they are older and can understand what having a relationship with Christ is about before taking the step into baptism.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Absolutely.

Google baby blessing, baby namings and child dedications...you should be able to find ideas under all of them, for various religious affiliations.

Many non-religious families, and multi-faith families are starting to go this route, in lieu of the traditionl baptism/christening. The ceremonies are also very common in the Pagan community, and are also done in Unitarian Universalist congregations.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• baptisms are for the church-scene. either its symbolic of death/burial/resurrection, dying to the old self/reborn a new creation(salvation), or entrance into that church's body of believers. dedications are usually done in churches, also. they are special in that the family,friends, or fellow church members(whoever wishes to 'stand' for the baby/child) are proclaiming that they will do everything in their power to support the child and help it grow in a Christian understanding and development of Christ-likeness, be there for the baby/family as helpers in raising the child in the church, etc. if you aren't religious/church member, why not simply gather those around you who you want to be in your child's life(family, friends, etc whom you respect and think would be good examles of moral, ethical living), and hold your own ceremony at a special place(favorite park?). . .(cont)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• then, everyone present could say something pertaining to the child and their hopes for this child's life, and you as parents to bring up the baby properly/morally/ethically/etc...if you are a praying people, select someone to end it with a special prayer for the baby and you, as parents. then, party!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• How old is your daughter? Baby (under a year)??? Baby dedication. This is just a statement before the Lord and the Church that you are commiting to raise your child in the nuture and ambition (Prov 22:6) of the Lord. You are commiting to raise the child with Godly Values, Morals, Teaching, Church Attendance...To just love the Lord with all your heart, body, soul and mind! Baptism is only meant for a believer. Baptism is the next step in obedience after you have trusted Christ as your Lord and Savior.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree with the mom who said these ceremonies are very important.I had my children dedicated,when they were babies,It is making a promise to God to raise them up in the way they should go,the Godly way.When my girls were around 12 or 13,they wanted to be baptized,so they were,I made sure they were old enough to understand why they were doing this,and what it meant.I have seen so many people,just pick a church,and invite family members out to the celebration,all for show,and something for a baby book.Good luck and God Bless you and your little one.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• in our church the baby just gets a blessing when she is born and when they turn eight is when they get baptized, we don't believe that babies have any sins and therefore are not in need of baptism. when they turn eight they are old enough to know better and can choose right from wrong and then get baptized. when they bless the baby a group of members of the family or others that are invited into the group stand with one hand on the others shoulder and they all hold the baby in the center with their other hand. then normally the father of the baby says a blessing, where you bless the child with the god given name and ask for blessing to know the truth and be wise and have special talents etc.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• oh absolutely! i belong to a unitarian universalist church, where you may feel comfortable exploring your spiritual beliefs without the obstacle of dogma. they do wonderful baby dedications where the entire congregation commits to being part of a community that helps raise that individual baby and encourage him/her to grow as his/her own person.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2008