I am losing my hair.

I am 52 years old and my hair is falling out bad. My thyroid is good my blood is good taking vitamins they say its a form of alopecia I am letting my hair grow long so you don't notice the top I dont know what to do.

4daughters4

Asked by 4daughters4 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• can it be stress or you sensative to meds
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I was thinking stress but dr. said she didn't believe in stress.
    4daughters4

Comment by 4daughters4 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Do they know its alopicia?
    Aleah_Hardiman

Answer by Aleah_Hardiman at 1:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Oh i am sorry , I seen a show on that disorder, I hope its stress , my doctor told me when i was loosing my hair it was stress , it cleared up after i stopped worrying so much
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• If it's stress do try to find a way to relieve what stress you can. 30 minutes of alone time in a hot bath or with a good book can go a long way. If it is a medical condition talk with your doctor and see what can be done. That being said make sure you're eating a healthy diet and getting all your vitimins a good multivitimin can be very helpful. I'm a cosmetologist and here are a few things I've seen women do when they're loosing hair that makes it worse instead of better. Many women quit brushing their hair or don't scrub their hair in the shower any more because they think it's going to cause more hair to fall out. That is never a good idea, that good scrubbing you give your scalp when you wash your hair and when you brush it stimulates your scalp and it keeps your scalp in the best condition you can. A healthy scalp means healthier hair. I've even seen women who have lost hair have hair start growing back. Good Luck!
    littlepeanut21

Answer by littlepeanut21 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It very well could be stress. I'm almost 22 and when I'm under a great deal of stress, I lose handfuls of hair at a time. When I relieve the stress, the hair stops falling out.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I hope it is stress... but if it is alopecia it may only get worse. In that case I would check into wigs.. I know they sound icky but really there are some out here that are nice and not so flippin hot you wanna rip it off after 10 mins of wearing it. (I went through chemo and had to deal with my fair share of hair loss) I have some great sites that are relatively inexpensive and have human or synthetic hair if you would like them. Try all the stress relief techniques you can, and get a second opinion from a doctor that understands stress causes all kinds of physical ailments, and if all else fails rock the wig sister!.. hey it is awesome to get out of bed and your hair be all ready and no more "bad hair" days... you can just buy another style anytime you want a change! Praying for you.

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I didn't realize that stress could do that. That's an interesting point. However, I thought it could also be due to a vitamin deficiency or due to a really dry scalp.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2010