Did you worry about this stuff too ?

My daughter is starting kindergarten next August and the anxiety has already kicked in ... sometimes I lay awake at night and worry if she will be ok, I mean I think she will actually love school because of some of the other things I have taken her to ( like story time, which is like a preschool craft class) and she was right up with the teacher and wanting to be in the front of the line and just very independent... so I am not so much worried about that, but more along the lines of her being bullied, or getting beat up, or kidnapped, or something like a tornado happening when I cant get to her.... As soon as I hear of something that could possibly happen I get a sick to my stomach feeling. I have honestly considered turning my family into hermits and homeschooling my kids ( even though i am not in a place to really do that) . A few days ago my cousin who is in 6th grade * continued in 1st post *

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 11:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• was offered drugs by a high schooler ( the elem. middle and high school are all together) ...of course he did a great job and ran back into the school and told on him and the cops came and arrested him ( they DID find alot of drugs on him too ) ... I am afriad that something like that would happen and she would know what to do .... I already started asking her about what she should do when those sorts of things happen ( stranger talk) but then again she is only 4 and tells me she had enough of that talk...

I just feel so paranoid and so stressed out about this.... how can I not drive myself crazy !?!?!
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Wow. You're really kind of over the top here with worrying about essentially nothing. Your going to make the poor kid scared & a nervous wreck before she even goes to school! Do you have anxiety problems, like OCD? Not being mean or funny but that's what it sounds like. You need to get a grip here or she'll be scared to leave the house soon. The world is not as bad as you think it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would see a therapist for your anxiety issues. That is what I would do. I have OCD. I know how your mind can wander off to the most horrible thing but its not real. Its your mind. Of course you have to be careful & safe but you still have to live your life. And let your child live hers at some point here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I do have anxiety ...

My husband recently lost his job and now we have the medical card insurance.... I wasnt sure that I would be able to go to one of those Dr's ???
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes you can. I did when we had state insurance. You just have to find one that take it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Thank you ! I will have to look into it..
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• go to a therapist if you have anxiety issues (its helping me)
    and give your daughter the tools (teach her) to help protect herself. when u can afford it see if u can get her in a tae kwon do class. it will help her with self-defense..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• thank mommatasha ... I have been thinking of putting her in those classes... but I do have to wait until my husband gets another job... we live in a small town and the classes are about 45 mintues away ...but I do think they will be worth it !
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Take one day at a time....one week at a time. Always be involved with your kids schooling. Volunteer and get involved. Keep the lines of communication open so they always know they can come to you. Relax and enjoy each step along the way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree with elizabre ....she is right. Be involved and look at school as a great adventure for your child and for you. Be well known to teachers, volunteer to work with the classroom or the Office and you will get feedback and you well feel more secure while your child is there. ANd relax!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2010