I'm hosting a dinner party for the first time...so I need some pointerw from CMers

the last time I had more than a hand full of people in my home was back before I had kids and I had some house parties. Now we're expecting 12 people. All good friends, SO's of good friends, and family.

What should I make
I was thinking of Chicken Parmesean over Fettuccine Noodles, I am comfortable with making a lot of this.

Maybe a salad? Fruit Bowl? Do I do dessert? If so what kind?
Do I buy wine? Champagne? We always have wine on tap, not literally, but we always have it. But there will also be some toddlers.
Ideas?

I need pointers so I don't over do or under do anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Easily made ahead of time food: Lasagna, salad of mixed greens w/good, homemade vinaigrette & croutons, garlic bread or bread sticks and red wine. Dessert...hmm...fruit bowl sounds good. A berry bowl sounds better. How about lemon gelato or something super chocolaty but light. You could pass around different bars of very dark chocolate for a light dessert and a nice conversation piece to go with your red wine. That's it: Berries, chocolate and red wine. Perfect.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• how about an antipasto salad with rolled meats and cheeses and olives and peperocini peppers with evoo and balsamic vinegar and some oregano. And then some really good Italian bread with dipping oils. And wine of course! maybe get several types and do a little variety. For the kids and non drinkers maybe make italian sodas or mix some berry lemonaide or the sort. For dessert, Tiramisu and coffee maybe a night cap with frangelico or sambucca.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Make everything ahead. With the pasta, you would have to leave your guests and attend to this at the last minute. You would be better off making lasagna or baked ziti, but if this is what you want to make, have everything else prepared ahead. Either salad or fruit salad would be good. Also bread. Make brownies or cookies. Have wine, ready to pour for your guests as they arrive, white and red. Chardoney and merlot would work for most people. Aslo, realize that some people don't drink, so have some sodas or bottled water on hand, and maybe Juicy-juice for the little ones. If you can get some cups with lids-that would be great for keeping spills to a minimum. Maybe have a little something to nibble on like celery sticks and carrot sticks and olives. If someone brings wine, you can either open it, or not, either is proper. Relax and have fun!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2010