What is the youngest age a child can successfully potty train?

Just curious what your thought are!

TiredButBlessed

Asked by TiredButBlessed at 12:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I learned 18mos from my psychology class, because by then their sphincter is fully developed and they can then attempt to control when they go potty
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• In many cultures, they use elimination comminucation, or EC, in infancy, as in, a few months old. We used the 3 day method, which recommends 22 months, but I know DS showed signs of readiness way before that. I think it depends on the kid. Some kids resist it more than others, ya know?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Birth. Many cultures in the world even today potty train from birth. And it does work. I started at 5.5 months with my daughter. She was daytime potty trained by 10 months. We've had ups and downs since then, but she is now working on nighttime. She's 15 months. I, obviously, don't believe that BS about them not being able to control it before 18 months. I've seen different.
    My next I won't wait so long. I'll probably start at about 1 month.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I've actually read about that, but I read that it is mostly used in cultures that really don't use diapers and are outside a lot, where it would be convenient for the parent to assist the baby in elimination quickly. I am totally curious how you did it with a 5 month old.
    TiredButBlessed

Comment by TiredButBlessed (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Idont think age matters.. It's all about when they start showing signs of it.. like taking off their diaper, and knowing what "Potty" means.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2010