How do I go to school and raise kids?

I have a 4 yr old (nearly 5), and a 3 yr old. I was going to wait until they went to school, then I was going to go back to college and get my degree. My DH and I were talking tonight about family planning, and we both want one more child in the next few years. I really want both... another baby and a degree.
How many of you go to college and raise children? How do you do it? How do I get started?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 12:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I started college at age 22 and I had 2 kids at the time. I was creative with my class schedule. Getting up early in the morning taking the earliest classes available, took weekend classes, telecourses (online classes), did homework after kids went to bed, did homework on my lunchbreak at work. It took me 8 years. I had another baby in the meantime. I remember packing a diaper bag, breast pump, and school backpack in the morning and carting off 3 kids to school/daycare at the crack of dawn. It was tough but it became a way of life for awhile. My DH had to make dinner and take care of baby for years. It was so worth it when I graduated. My DH cried and my kids stood proud of me. That moment was worth it all. Go for it! It will work itself out.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I only have one right now but we are going to try for another one when my son is 18mos. He is 12mos now.
    I go to school full-time, I take 13 units, and next semester I will be taking 15.
    I make my in class classes all at once. The early part of the day works well for us because my SO usually works at night. But next semester I might have to split my load, some morning some nights pending if I go back to work.
    I do homework very early in the morning, I get up at 5:15a and do my math homework, and finish my HW by 8:15a so I can have it done before class and before everyone wakes up.

Get started by applying and registering for classes. Make sure that your hubby knows school is also a priority and once that has been established you can go to school.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My DH works from 8am to 7pm... so I'm not sure how I'm going to work it out.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It would be much easier on you if you just wait till you get your degree.
    Lil_Momz

Answer by Lil_Momz at 1:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• oh I know it... but I will be 29 this year. I already had 2 tough pregnancies at age 23 and 25, so I can only imagine how much harder it would be in my 30's. I do believe timing is everything, though.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It depends on what degree you want. I'm currently pregnant with my first and have been attending a local university. The baby will be coming soon but I already signed up for online classes next semester to help with the juggling. Certain degrees you can do online for the entire thing. I want a pharmacy doctorate though so I will eventually have to go take some physical ones.

Decide what you want to do and look at your best options. Just remember, like mine, certain degrees will need physical classes. If that won't work, stick to online. I suggest local schools that offer online. Online dedicated colleges are very expensive. My associate's degree cost me 20,000...way too much consider one semester at Kennesaw State is less than 2000 usually. That would have been only 8,000 for the same degree.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• It depends on what you're going to school for, your support system and your level of self-discipline. We have two kids and I went to nursing school and graduated this past August. Nursing school is very challenging, classes were 9 to 12 hours a day, no online classes available in my program and several hours of homework/studying a day. My husband had to take over the housework because I literally did not have time to do it. I am lucky he was cool with that. I started getting up at 4:00am to do my homework/studying so that I would have time to spend with the children when I came home from school. That was a great idea, by the way, getting up early means the house is quiet. It's doable if you make it clear to the people in your life that school is a priority for you and you ask for help in other areas of your life so you can focus.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• figure it out. thats what the rest of us did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2010