Boys who ask for nail polish, baby dolls, and wear Mommy's shoes

Do you let them? Is this just as innocent as a little girl wanting to play with trucks, and wear Daddy's boots?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 12:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't see a problem with it. Boys need to try on different roles when they are younger, too, and try to identify with the world around them. Dressing up is fun for young kids, regardless of gender. I work in a preschool, and the other day I was in a class of two-year olds. Some of the kids were playing dress-up. A couple of girls wanted me to help them get into princess costumes, and then a little boy wanted me to help him get into a tutu. It flashed through my mind for a moment that maybe his parents wouldn't approve, but really, he just wanted to play with the other kids and do what they were doing. I think it's perfectly normal, and to make a big deal of it would be a mistake. I think it's a very natural part of development.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes I let him. I have 2 little girls, one of which was a knight for halloween, and a little boy that likes everything you mention and then some! Do I think he's gonna turn out gay if he wants his nails painted pink? No. i know of lots of grown straight men that did the same things as boy. Further more, should I care if he is gay? Should I be concerned that my DD that was a knight will become a butch lesiban? Should I be concerned that my other DD that was a pirate will one day sail the 7 seas attacking ships? lol
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 12:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Both of my boys have worn nail polish at some point. In fact, my 5 yr old has some black left from Halloween on his nails right now. The kids is all boy, except for playing with my shoes on occasion and black nail polish (he was Darth Vader.)

My oldest also went through a nail polish stage, mostly when I did his little sister's nails. He even tried on a couple of her dresses. He was also great at putting hair stuff in her hair. He's 12 now and is completely embarrassed that he ever did that stuff.

I see no problem with it. It's all fun and games when they are young.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My youngest boy had a doll named baby he carried around for a few years and I let him because he's gonna be a dad someday right? He gonna have to carry his baby around, right? he gonna have to change diapers too, right? We shopped for some supplies for her and got a few of those disappearing bottles. She liked the dollar store ones the best LOL He finally passed her down to his niece when she was about 10 months old and she would play with it every time she came over.

My other son has worn nail polish because he has an older sister that she needed to try out different shades so she tried them on him. Hey she was in charge of him while I was cooking and cleaning and whatever else. it kept them both busy and happy

And, yes, my boys have paraded around in my shoes from my slippers to my heels. Shoes are shoes and play is play.

mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have seen my son play w/dolls when we are at my sisters, but its him acting like the dad& the doll is his child.Now here at home both my boys would try on my shoes but that was when i would leave my heels in the livingroom, i laughed it off & even took pictures for when they get older but i did remind them that those are for girls&they are boys..They are 4&2 so im not too worried now.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• DS has gone through periods of being obsessed with my purses, shoes and Chapstick. But it's all just around the house, and he's also into putting on deodorant and cologne/perfume like us. He checks his "watch" and cleans his glasses like Daddy. I think it's more mimicry than a gender role thing. I'm not a big gender roles person, so frankly, if he wanted to leave the house in a tutu, that's fine with me. I'd even let him wear nail polish if he wanted, occasionally, no less than I would if I had a daughter.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree boys need to learn to be dads so dolls can be ok. Heels only if you explain to him these are for girls. Nailpolish I would tell him is only for girls. If he has a sister maybe find something that is only for boys he can do with daddy so he doesnt feel left out.
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 8:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• At what age are we talking?
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 8:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My son is only two, but he has a baby doll and he's tried on my shoes around the house many times. He hasn't asked about nail polish yet. I don't think I would care if he did ask to try nail polish though. I remember some friends and I painted some guy friends' finger nails, and they were good sports about letting us doing it. When I was a little older, I also had a couple guy friends who wore black nail polish sometimes. Not a big deal IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• NO! The boy would break his silly little neck in my heels! Otherwise, sure he can ask for his nails to painted (do it himself if he's old enough) and play with dolls. I don't care. I don't understand why people make such a huge deal over this.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2010