Birthday party for 3-year-old: to have or not to have?

My son will be turning 3 in January, and I don't know whether or not we should have a party for him. We moved approximately 50 miles earlier this year and we don't really know anyone around here. We have been with the same playgroup since he was 9 months old, so he's gotten to know a few of the kids there (as I have gotten to know some of the moms as well). We still see them regularly as I promised we'd make at least one of their playdates each week.

The ones we are closest to - maybe 5 or 6 of the kids/moms - would travel close to where we are for a party. We don't really have family nearby either, at least none that are close by who have young kids, so if I do a party, it will be very small. Should I bother? Really, if I could let the kids run and play, then have food and cake, that would be great. Some indoor playgrounds charge around $500 (and up) for a 2-hour private party. Is it worth it?

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 12:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, I would have a party at home before no party at all. Of course, have a party...it doesn't have to be super expensive or huge.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree with PP poster....no need to rent anything either if you dont have the funds or dont think its worth it with a small gathering, but have SOMETHING for him. You could even have a party with just the two of you! =)
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• LOL only I would think of this, but as soon as you said January all I could think of is you probably would have a lot of kids sick, which in turn means possilby cancellations and if you only know 5-6 moms then what if like 3 cancel now you rented out a 500 dollar place.....

I agree maybe do it at your home or at a park ( if you live in some place like CA like me LOL)

OR

Why not plan something small and special at one of our January playgroup meetings ? This way you already have a place and everyone will be together. Then you can focus your money instead on bringing something fun like balls, Duplo Legos, playdoh or other fun activities. Even buying that stuff would be cheaper over some 500 dollar place and you could keep the toys after.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Ugh, didn't think about the getting sick part. Ah heck, with 2 and 3 year olds, it doesn't matter if it's January or June, there's always someone sick! ;)

I guess I could have a small party/playdate at home. But my son, and his buddies, just LOVE running around those indoor play areas. If my son could tell me what he would want to do, I'm sure that would beat playing at home. We did the park last year, and we got lucky with the weather (even in Southern California) as it rained before and after the party, so I'd rather not do that again.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2010