I recently stopped taking my birth control and my spouse and I are trying to get pregnant. I am only 4 days late and I took an at home test which came out negative. However, Im slightly nauseous, a little tired, and having bad dreams (which I had when I was pregnant with my son) could I be pregnant or am I just getting my hopes up?

txda24

Asked by txda24 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• You could be. You could have ovulated later than normal, and then your pregnancy test would not show positive until later. Plus, there are some women who (and this is rare) just don't show positive on urine tests for several different reasons. I would take the test in another week and if it is still negative and you think you may be pregnant, ask your doctor for a QUANTITATIVE, not qualitative blood test.

Honestly, the best thing to do is not stress and wait, as hard as that is. I had some very strange hormonal issues after my second son and thought I was pregnant several times when I wasn't and went crazy obsessing and wondering if the test was wrong because I felt SO pregnant. (I had never thought I was pregnant before when I wasn't, so I really thought that I was.) It's something you want to know, but waiting is the only thing that will tell you for sure.
    TiredButBlessed

Answer by TiredButBlessed at 1:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Could go either way. It could be that your hopes are up, and you're having psychosomatic symptoms, or you could also be stressing about it so much that you're suppressing ovulation, which delays your period. Or you could be pregnant and it's just not coming up yet (or like Tired said, sometimes, though rare, you don't test positive even though you're pregnant).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• you could be even if it shows up negative i took preg tests every month and got negative all though i knew i was pregnant my last 2 babies did this i couldnt get a postive test until 5mths along with my last 2 wic said it was because my hormones were so low not high like in most pregnancy now with my first i tested positive at 2mths
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 4:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I got a negative with my son, but no period so I retested and got a positive. It might just be too early yet for the pregnancy hormone to be evident enough to be detected. Your symptoms could be pregnancy or your cycle as they can be very similar but I'll be praying for you to be/get pregnant soon! Baby dust to you! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2010