Talking to our children about sex... adult content

I was a teen mom and a single mom for 7 years before my Now Hubby and I got serious. I'm watching 16 and Pregnant and remembering how much of a struggle it was then and thinking about how things could have been different had I waited. My oldest is now 10. When do you start talking to your kids about sex? How detailed do you get? How can I do my very best to keep my son from choosing to have sex at a young age? I obviously want the best for my kids, and would love to see them graduate, get a stable career going, and get married before they have children of their own.

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Teach them that sex is something shared between people who love each other. Teach them about birth control, and how important it is. Teach them about STDs. Your oldest is ready for all of that. Younger kids are likely curious about sex, and you might want to get the message to them that sex is shared between people who love each other, and that it's a special thing you don't want to share with just anyone. My mom was very open with my brother and me, and we both waited to lose our virginities until we were at least 16 and with someone we loved. We also were both good about birth control. He just got married (today, actually), and doesn't have any kids (he's 25), and I'm 30, with a 2 year old we planned. Neither of us have ever had an STD.
    Honesty and openness are truly vital with this topic, because one heat of the moment decision changes your life, as you well know.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2010