How Much is Too Much for Christmas?

Do ya'll have a spending cap you stick to every year? How much do you think is too much to spend on Christmas gifts? Obviously we all have different incomes but in general, what would you think an average spending cap should be ?

Mblessesd4x

Asked by Mblessesd4x at 2:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• We're pretty cheap here at my house becuase we just don't have tons of money to dole out on toys and whatnots. So I usually keep it as low as possible and pretty simple.
    Girly's first christmas we spent around 20 on toy train that shoots balls. Second christmas spent 10 'cause it was all we had and a few things were donated bya friend. Last year spent around 40 and got surprised that her caseworker put her in for sub for santa and forgot to tell us. This year I have two little ones, second is almost two months, and I plan to spend perhaps a hundred on both including stocking stuffers and whatnot. And if I can get away cheaper than that I will. I'm planning to hit up IKEA for a few things.
    The most expensive thing we do is everybody gets a DVD in their christmas sock, and usually go for a good one. Like I want to get the girly that dragon movie 'cause she LOVES it.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I spend way too much. I don't have a cap, pretty much I get what I think he will like without being too crazy. I think it all depends on the age of a child though. It is really hard to buy for babies, so a lower cap would make sense. My son is 4 now, so I can get him lots of stuff by staying rather close to "budget." I got him 1 big thing this year, because he was in need of a chair to set in, so I have spent over $200. I think it all depends on the person, the age of the child and how they view Christmas really. I grew up getting lots of things, my husband not so much, so we kind of try to stay in the middle.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 2:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We spend a lot on our family at Christmas. We don't have a cap. The rule has always been if we don't have cash we don't buy it and that varies year to year. My kids are teenagers and money doesn't go as far as when you have younger kids. I think if it is within your means it doesn't matter how much it is .
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• this actually the first year where i dont have a spending cap, we are focusing more on stuff to do together. i have explained this already to our older girls (6 and 5) and they love the idea of spending time together and doing stuff. we are getting them some things to open but not alot and most of things they are getting are more needs and stuff i would have bought them anyway (shoes, pants, tops). the toys they are getting are like 2 more wii controlers for the older girls along with the toy story game and just dance 2. the 2yr old is getting some thomas toys that are small and travel well for when we move in the spring. the baby i am lost on. i have gone overboard in past christmases and it was such a waste, the girls talk more about the stuff we did than the stuff they got.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think if you're worried about how you're going to pay for the stuff AFTER the credit card bill comes, then you're spending too much!

In our family (extended as well), we've all decided that Christmas is for the children, so everyone exchanges gifts from among those children under age 18--and do what they want within their respective families, and for those over 18, we do a "Secret Santa" exchange (gifts are not to exceed $50) so everyone gets at least one gift.

My husband and I usually just get one "big" gift for each other...My husband only wants a Kindle this year, so I'll likely get him a couple of other smallish gifts, but I want some new furniture! He'll just give me money that I use towards what I want...but it's what I really want! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We spend roughly about $600-$700 each year on gifts, between the kids, each other, my parents, his mother and his siblings. But we also pay cash for everything.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I thinking spending more than one months worth of income is going a little bit too far. That's just my personal opinion. We'll be spending $150 on Christmas gifts this year. But then with fuel and travel costs... ugh, it's going to be way more than that.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2010