What do you do to make your kids ENJOY healthy foods?

This quote from Meryl Streep has always struck me with some truth: "It's bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my children's health than the pediatrician. "
DS would eat bananas and green beans all day every day if he had it his way, and I am SO grateful for that. I'm just curious what else mamas have done to help their kids learn to enjoy healthy foods.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 2:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My son has been given healthy foods from the moment he started eating solids. We skipped rice cereal and all the baby foods. My son at 6 months had mashed up food I had prepared. He was never given chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, pizza, hot dogs and other disgusting foods that are not healthy for a person. My son ate at a friends house the mom made grilled chicken and steamed veggies my son was excited until he tasted the food. She put tons of salt on everything my son was polite and ate his meal but he was not feeling well later. His body is not used to taking in so much sodium so it was rejecting it. I am a very good cook so I know how to use herbs and fresh ingredients to make healthy and nutritious meals. We eat a mostly vegetarian diet. We do have chicken once a week and fish once a week. We avoid red meats, shell fish and pork. Food to us is fuel so we eat to live and don't live to eat like some do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Em likes to insist she's starving right as I start cooking dinner so she gets to eat carrots or something like that. She's also one though who loves her fruits and her green veggies, it's corn she won't go near unless it's in something. In fact my daughter won't eat a taco unless you serve it as a salad. She's odd. Other things, we have cookie cutters for sandwiches. I've made foods into faces. Have a competition between her and her best friend as to who could finish their carrots first. When it's dinner and she's really stubborn about not eating not only her healthy stuff but ANY stuff I've begun pulling baby brother's gonna beat her and that works. I also hide things like spinich or beans sent through the blender are easy to hide in spagheti or chili. My daughter will each just about anything if you put it in macncheese or on top of a pizza. Lastly, let her help prepare the food and sometimes that helps too.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think just getting kids involved with food prep and choices - encouraging them to see and experience the variety of produce is so vital. That and keep the junk food out of the equation. If you offer the choice between an orange, apple and a banana for a snack, they're going to pick one of those 3. If you offer an apple or Cheetos....well, you see where that's going to go!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• If they see you enjoying food they will too. You don't have to label it as healthy if that scares them away. But after they like a food mention how it tastes good and it's good for tgem. Mmm, carrots make your eyes strong or help you see at night, like a cat! That sort of thing.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 8:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I will admit, sd12 will love on something and then not eat it when she finds out what it is because she doesn't like the idea of it...also I think she has come to pride herself on not eating vegetables. To back down now would show defeat! For example, she loved guacamole until she found out it's made with avocado. Now she won't touch the stuff. Oh well more for us!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 8:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Lol, sneak it in food he loves>
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My daughter has grown up with healthy foods, and enjoys them.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• When I cook and kids are underfoot, I give them some raw veggies or fruit to chew on, whatever I'm using.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2010