Do you agree that most teens are having babies on purpose? I am the mother of a teen father...but I still think..read more...

Ok I want to start off by saying that I am a mom of a sixteen year old boy that is a father. Now let me start off by saying, He takes care of his son during the day, takes night classes at night, and works on the weekends at a local grocery store.His girlfriend is also sixteen. She does not get any type of assistance, because she works part time at Dunking Donuts. Her mom, and I help out with the smaller things, while every dime they have goes towards things he needs. Proud of them because it was a mistake..and they turned it around and made me extremely proud! Now my question is, I see a lot of girls in his GF school that are pregnant. Do you think these girls get pregnant on purpose? I asked my sons girlfriend, and she said she thinks they do. Even though I am a grandmother..it troubles me to see this. I am not proud of what my son did..but this is getting out of control. And these girls are on welfare. What is going on?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 5:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I also want to note that...I bring this up because when I was on my way to work this morning, these two girls were walking together...and both of them were not only pregnant, but one was smoking!! While they were swearing left and right. My stomach turned! I wanted to say something so bad, but Its not my place. Yes I feel funny saying this because I have a teen age son that is a dad...but what I am troubled by is all the kids that are having babies, and yes that includes my son. However on that note, my son and his gf are mature about this. Yes they are still kids at heart sometimes, but they are mature enough to do the best they can...by working and going to school. I also noticed my sons girlfriends facebook these girls that are pregnant saying they miss smoking weed, drinking, etc. Thats what trouble me..because I look at my son and they dont have time to worry about that stuff. IDK..what is going on, but its nuts!
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 5:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• these girls dont get pregnant on purpose. They dont have enough sense to protect themselves properly.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't think most teen get pregnant on purpose but I am sure there are some. I also wanted to say to you comment about the girls on facebook saying the miss smoking week and drinking. There are A LOT of adult people that think that way or even still use while pregnant, that is not just a teen pregnancy thing sadly!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Wow bad typing and spelling on me! Sorry :P
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think alot of younger girls do purposely get pregnant. In my hometown there is a VERY high teen pregnancy rate and I remember many of my friends talking about having babies to keep their boyfriends and stupid things like that. Although, there are also MANY MANY who just dont protect themselves and have the 'it wont happen to me' complex. Its sad so many around here tell me I waited too long to have my baby...I was 23!!!! I am so happy to hear your son is doing all he can to take care of his baby! Its very hard as an adult, cant imagine at 16! I think more kids need parents who are supportive as you seem to be when kids do end up in this situation!
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 6:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I am starting to think in a some way shape or form,like its the thing to do or something.I dont know, but its just sad.I was sad for my own son and his gf...Because I know how hard it is.They have basically lost their teen life,and straight on to adult hood! I warned them, we talked about it in detail. I was not ok with this at first by any means, but now that my grandson son is five months and my little angle..How can I be mad. I think it would be a lot worse if I didnt see them making every effort in the world to be good parents. I talked to my sons GF about the girls in her school.They have a mothers group every Weds...so she met a lot of teen moms that way. She said some of them are just like her...meaning trying the best they can, and put their baby before anything. Some of the girls already had their babies or are still pregnant. She said most of them except a few, are on welfare & their mom takes care of the child.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 6:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• @m0 mommy...thank you! I try to be there for them..but from a distance. I love my grandson, so I am usually the one who calls them up asking if I can have him. They barely ask me to watch him. If they did, I am quick to jump on it though lol.But my whole point was that I am saddened for these kids.Plus Its just disturbing to see most of these teen parents being so immature. Yes they are still kids, but guess what..time to put your big girl panties on...your a mommy now! I was a teen mom as well.However, I did not get pregnant on purpose. No way! I choose to keep my son, and I didnt have my mom's help. Even if I wanted it...she wasnt trying to hear that. I worked my butt off while my best friend helped me. It is def a must to have a good support system, but this can be prevented. I wish these teens would get some more self respect and love for them selfs. But then again, something may be going on at home,and dont feel loved IDK
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 6:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• LOL...OOPS MEANT TO SAY ANGEL! HAHA NOT ANGLE
    bellamommyof4

• I was pregnant at 17 and had my son at 18. I had graduated hs but had to wait an extra semester before enrolling in college for night classes when my mom got off to help me with my son. (His father was a d bag, and my DH has since adopted him.) I did not get pregnant on purpose, I was on the fast track to college. My son is now 7 and I am 3 semesters from having my bachelors degree!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 6:44 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Some teens do and most do not. I have worked with a few that did want to because of very bad cicumstances. Wanting love, a reason to be treated with respect, wanting attention....too many sad reasons to name. Including reasons of being sexually assaulted previously and the way they coped was not healthy. End result - a baby. Most don't want to on purpose but lack of sex education, inability to buy contraception, and the over sexualization of our culture in general - well it is a train wreck. Children having children is never a good option for any of us.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:52 AM on Nov. 13, 2010