What denomination....

Is there a denomination that is like the Catholic Church, but without praying to saints or believing the priest has to forgive your sins and things like that? What I like about the Catholic Church is the liturgy and the reverent form of worship. Is there are Church like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics don't pray to saints and priests aren't required for God to forgive sins. I suggest that you examine what the Catholic Church actually does before dismissing it based on commonly held misconceptions.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• There are two main branches ELCA and Missouri Synod in the US. Lutherans use the liturgical service. I attended Catholic school for one year, and it is similar to Lutheran. They also collaborate with many other denominations, Presbyterian and Episcopalian (I believe) are among them. Good luck in your search for a right fit.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 7:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I have heard the Lutheran religion is a lot like Catholicism. I am not sure because I have never studied the Catholic religion. I was brought up Lutheran though. We don't have to go to confessional we believe we have a link to God personally. I am not sure if that is what you are asking though.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Sorry if my wording was offensive, but Catholics do "pray" to saints, they ask the saints to pray for them, and I do not believe in doing that, not saying it is wrong, just something I am not comfortable with. And about the priests I read something written by a practising Catholic, I'll post it below, could you tell me if this is correct or not? Again, I'm not saying it is wrong, just something I do not feel comfortable with.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Next why can't we just sit in the pews in the church and confess, why do we have to confess to a priest? Well this goes with my answer about the importants of priests, they are given the power by the Lord to witness confession, to give penance, contrition and absolution. Priests are our connections to the Lord. During confession the Priests are no longer in their human mind set, but on a different consciousness level they are channeling the Holyspirit and by talking to the Priest it is as if you are speaking to the Holyspirit it self. Mortal sins are serious sins that actually are "soul killing" which is a removal from God. The separate us from his love and light because they are on our conscious mind and in our soul. We must repent and confess to a priest and do acts of contrition to cleanse our souls and repair our relationship with the Lord.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Venial sins are "lighter" everyday sins like gossiping or talking back to your mom. They only "hurt" our relationship with the Lord and do need to be repented and CAN be repented WITHOUT going to formal confession.

This and the one before it were quotes from a Catholic. Are they accurate or not? Thanks.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• To your above responses, ALL born-again Christians recieved the Holy Spirit at salvation. We ALL have direct access to God through Christ Jesus. I agree with you that I don't have anything against Catholics, I just don't agree with practices like that. Anyway, to answer your first question, I have also heard Lutheran, Episcopalian, and Methodist?. I really am not positive though as I don't attend those churches. Good luck on your church hunt :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I"m Catholic and do "pray" to saints if I want!

You are free to pray for whoever.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Lutheran
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Asking saints to pray for you isn't any different than asking your living relatives and friends to pray for you. If you don't like the practice, even as a Catholic, you are not required to do it. Catholics aren't even required to ask living people to pray for them.

In terms of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, I think your friends have it a little wrong. That isn't uncommon for people who were raised in the faith and haven't spent the time to learn the Catechism well. If you are interested in exactly what the Sacrament entails and why Catholics think it's important, here is a good place to start.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2010