How do you deal with an attitude from a 12 yr old boy

He can be so sweet one moment and then a monster the next. Has to have the last word and just plain snotty when talking to sisters.

karensue65

Asked by karensue65 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I put my son in his room and tell him "I hope you like these four walls buddy, because you are going ot be seeing them for awhile." If he can't act expected, he will not be allowed to be with the family. I put a timer and he stays in the room until the timer goes off. If the same snotty, bratty attitude resurfaces, he goes right back. He doesn't get any warnings. I have a zero tolerance policy. If you give them an inch, they will take a mile. I did the same thing with the older two as well when they were with me. Oh, and I don't allow a TV in the room, or a computer.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Some of this is just the age.

My friend has a kindness chart at her home. The children get points for doing the things on the chart and then once every week or two get to do something special..........movie, lunch out, free attraction in the area, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:00 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• There's a behavior specialist out that is offering his "Total Transformation" dvd's free of charge. I've thought about ordering it at times. (To have in my arsenol of parenting techniques.) Hopefully you are offering an alternative response to his sisters. For instance, if he tells them to "shut up", tell him a nicer way to express that thought is "please be quiet" Often they lack the tools to express themselves, and need to be shown a better way. You are entering the fun age of the teen years, so it's kinda like walking thru a minefield. Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't know but I will ask to let me know when you find out something. Mine is eleven and i am having the same problem. He is very strong willed and does not like to back down when he thinks he is right, regardless of how wrong he may be. He also has a sister too. I feel you're pain right now.
    navwife2

Answer by navwife2 at 8:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• my friends say much of it has to do with the age....he has way to much of his mother in him lol. thanks all.
    karensue65

Comment by karensue65 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2010