When do I start thinking about school?

My son is 4 years old and has been in daycare since he was a infant. When do I start looking into Kindergarden? His birthday is October, will he even be able to start next year? How do I find this out when the Twp's cut off date is? HELP?

dellfamily

Asked by dellfamily at 9:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• call your local school district and ask them.... Each school district has their own rules regarding cut of dates etc.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Oh and ask your daycare provider....they might be informed about the school cut of dates etc.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• he wont be able to start til the year after next because the childs birthday had to be before school starts i know my sons birthday is dec and i had to wait til this year to put him in and my daughters birthday is april she will have another year after this one of preschool before she can start
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• each school district/state is different.... School here start in August but the B-day cut off date is in September. That's why I advise the OP to ask either her child care provider, because they may be aware of what the local school policies, or just call the school district and ask them.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would start now. My son's Bday is November, so he just started school this year, he's turning 6 this week. I wish I looked into it earlier, his school switched to full day Kindergarten 2 yrs ago. He could've went to preschool at the same school. Since your child has been in a daycare environment, the adjustment will probably go smoothly. Your town might have a preschool program associated with his school that might be beneficial and maybe financially a benefit to you too. Plus, someone at my child's bus stop that is in 1st grade, has a sibling in preschool now, but has to go to one not affiliated with our school, because he missed the sign up and it was already filled when they applied. Couldn't hurt to sign up early.

Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i always put my children in head start when they turned for to get them ready for kindergarten and yea it depends on where you live like SAHMinIL sai i would call skool district
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2008