Does God come first to you?

I have often heard this from many people and I often wonder if God would want to take number one place when it comes to your children and family. My kids always come first, and I don't think God would think any less of me for that, thoughts???

Asked by older at 8:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • My family always comes first. I honestly don't think God is thinking any less of me for putting my children and husband first in my life.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• My faith is kind of different than most, in that I don't believe God is keeping tabs on us and has some sort of magnifying glass over us watching to ensure we abide by His every will. I don't believe that He expects us to forfeit our families, etc, in bending over backwards to please Him. If that makes any sense... Its kind of an in comparison to those who believe there are so many rules and expectations... I believe the only expectation is love and spiritual cultivation in the form of love and humanity. So enjoying one's family would be part of that.

I do love to set aside time to study and reflect, but I don't believe its a "requirement", so to speak. If any of that makes any sense, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• by being what God wants me to be, allowing His will to be the center of my life, i am better situated to be the wife and mother i am supposed to be. by keeping Me as close to Him as possible through prayer and striving to 'keep the mind of Christ', i am better equipped to handle there extra 'duties' of marriage/motherhood. so, yes, He is first.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, because without God, I wouldn't have my family.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• God comes first - my family comes second.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes God comes first for me...
    Here is how it works and where the lack of understanding is.
    This is talking about Love not about just placement.
    When you love God with all your mind soul and body and place Him before your family... everything else runs smoothly because we have allowed Him to be in every aspect of our life. When you do not do this and try to run things on your own... things happen.
    My children are God's gift to me to love and to care for but they are not all mine.. they are HIS. I love God so much I trust God in their lives. What God does in their lives is between them and Him. My job as a parent is to train the children in the way they should go and they will not depart from it when they get older. My job is to instill the love of Christ in them and teach them His love. The rest is up to God. I place Him first and foremost over my childrens lives!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• God comes first in everything in my life for without him I would be nowhere
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• my mother and father gave me life, and he created the human body and the process

Actually your mother and father had sex .... God gave you life.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes he is first, for all the reasons dull said. When my eyes are focused on God and I am strong in His word and love, I am a better wife, mother, friend, etc. He is my strength and I can do all through Him. I notice the difference drastically and immediately when I shift my focus. Also, when we are commited and in covenant with God, He is able to bless our family and children. By putting God first doesn't mean we neglect our families. On the contrary, for many Christians, we see how by having God first in our lives, our families are strengthened, unified, and solid.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Well do you see that God gave you life? With out God where would you be?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2010