Christmas Cookies

Every year, I bake a ton of cookies and make some candy to put make baskets for our families, friends and neighbors. I also keep some hidden to give to the family on Christmas day. This year, I am running out of ideas for new cookies/candy. Do you ladies have any suggestions? Thanks!

mama10johnsons

Asked by mama10johnsons at 9:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• We do shame thing, We love oatmeal raisin and cream cheese balls( kinda tast like cheese cake) jelly cookies, peanutbutter cho chip
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I seem to like puppy chow made from rice chex, the kids love it too
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• go to northpole.com..there is a link to holiday cookies/treats, tons of them!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:42 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Thank you all for your suggestions. I will have to try to make some of these. They sound tasty.
    mama10johnsons

Comment by mama10johnsons (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Mexican Wedding Cake cookies are my fave and puppy chow is so easy and so good ( I make mine with chocolate chex mix for more sweetness!)
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Sugar cookies, Snickerdoodles, Oatmeal Raisin, and Mint Chocolate Chip cookies. Mmm
    tCzarn2

Answer by tCzarn2 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Oreo Truffles
    1 pkg. (1 lb. 2 oz) Oreo Cookies
    1 package (8 oz) Cream cheese softened
    2 pkg. (8 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted per package directions
    or Chocolate candy coating discs
    Crush cookies in food processor add softened cream cheese. Blend until completely combined. Remove to a bowl and store in refrigerator to completely chill (1 hour?) Remove and form into balls, teaspoon size or tablespoon size. (I like to use a small cookie scoop-like an ice-cream scoop, but smaller-so they’re all the same size-but that’s not necessary) Place on foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator again to chill, (1 hour), or place in freezer for about 15 minutes at least. Melt chocolate as package directs and dip ball in and replace on baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Put a small amount of chocolate in zip lock bag, melt in microwave (on 50%
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• continued

melt in microwave (on 50% power or defrost), just until barely melted. Snip off a tiny corner of the bag and use it like you would a pastry bag to drizzle over top of truffles. Store covered in refrigerator.

Notes: I have used peanut butter filled Oreo’s, mint-filled, strawberry-filled, the vanilla Oreo’s and original Oreo’s. They are all good. If I make a variety, I try to use different coatings, milk chocolate on one, dark or white chocolate on another; and drizzle with different flavors. For mint-I cover with dark chocolate and drizzle with white chocolate with green food coloring added, or roll in crushed peppermint stick candies. For strawberry I used white chocolate covering with a drop of red coloring added to the drizzle to make it pink. I have also used sprinkles-these have to be added quickly after dipping, before the chocolate hardens so they will stick.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Wow! Oreo truffles are something I must try. Thank you!
    mama10johnsons

Comment by mama10johnsons (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• continued:
    You can also save some of the cookie crumbs and sprinkle these on top. There is also gold and silver dust that can be purchased at Michael’s or other places that have Wilton candy making supplies. I use the plastic gloves when rolling the balls and dipping in chocolate-it sticks less than it does to your hands.
    These are always a big hit.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:18 AM on Nov. 13, 2010