Thoughts?

We must love the sinner but hate the sin." But as Einstein said and Christ demonstrated, "You cannot simultaneously say that you love someone and use your power against them."

Asked by older at 9:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • To hate witchcraft is to hate me, because that is what I am. To hate atheism is to hate my very being. We aren't talking about a naughty child here. We love our children, but hate their tantrums. That's a no-brainer. But to hate homosexuality is to hate another human being for being something they had no choice is being. It is to hate them to their core. Little wonder that homosexual teens are committing suicide. I can shrug off other people's antagonism because I'm an adult and I know that their negative feelings are THEIR problem, not mine. Kids don't have that capacity.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• i disagree completely. Christ demonstated the ultimate love for us by dying on the cross; if sin was lovable, he wouldn't have had to sacrifice himself to 'save' us. His blood would've been shed in vain.
    on a human note, you CAN love anyone with all your heart..that does not mean you will love what they do. you may tolerate it, you may accept it, but you do not have to love it, in order to love them.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:48 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Since we have a bunch of noobs, I'll explain for the record (again) that sin does not exist except for in the mids of those who have a belief in certain religious texts. The concept of "sin" only applies to something that harms another being (be it human, or not)... Homosexuality does not fall under that category.

"So, if your child does something that you don't like, does that mean you don't like your child?" - In short, yes. I love my children dearly, I carried them, birthed them, fed them at my breast, nurtured them... but that does not mean that I always like them.
    HOWEVER, in order for this concept to be applied to religion, that person *must* experience actual love for the other being, and without a disorder such as "Williams Syndrome", that simply can not be... I have yet to encounter ANY human who truly experiences love for mankind. Compassion yes, love no. Xtians make a moot point when stating " love the sinner".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• So, if your child does something that you don't like, does that mean you don't like your child?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I think it is ridiculous to say that you" hate the sin but love the sinner"....and I don't even believe in "sin" except as it applies to murder. Otherwise, it is just an arbitrary accusation based on some old dudes' opinions in the Bible.Or other religious books.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• layh, no, this is in reference to this phrase used in homosexuality and it being a sin.

Comment by older (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I agree with the phrase. Christians are supposed to love everyone regardless of sin. He loved us even though we were/are sinners. I try to see everyone through God's eyes and to love them regardless of who they are, what they are doing, etc. Christ showed love for the sinner. He associated with them all the time. That's one of the reasons the Pharisees hated Him. He is the perfect example of Love that we, as Christians, are to follow.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:50 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------
    I loved my son very much but I didn't like him or what he did at certain points of his life.

Yes, it is possible to love a person (sinner) and still not like what they are doing (sin). In all honesty, its not really as complicated as some try to make it.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Yes, it is possible to love a person (sinner) and still not like what they are doing (sin). In all honesty, its not really as complicated as some try to make it.

But when you use your power to be against it, like cutting a gay child out of your life, where is the love there?

Comment by older (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• As we love our fellow humans and have compassion for them it does not necessary mean we use our power over them. I can see the love the person over the sin they committed. My brother committed suicide I know that it was not the suicide that did it to him yet I can still see to love him. If you can follow that I give you props
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2010