Do you believe in exorcisms?

There are only a handful of priests in the country trained as exorcists, but they say they are overwhelmed with requests from people who fear they are possessed by the Devil.

Now, American bishops are holding a conference on Friday and Saturday to prepare more priests and bishops to respond to the demand. The purpose is not necessarily to revive the practice, the organizers say, but to help Catholic clergy members learn how to distinguish who really needs an exorcism from who really needs a psychiatrist, or perhaps some pastoral care.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2010 in Religious Debate

• "Not everyone who thinks they need an exorcism actually does need one," said Bishop Thomas J. Paprocki of Springfield, Ill., who organized the conference. "It's only used in those cases where the Devil is involved in an extraordinary sort of way in terms of actually being in possession of the person.

"But it's rare, it's extraordinary, so the use of exorcism is also rare and extraordinary," he said. "But we have to be prepared."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/13/us/13exorcism.html?_r=1

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I am pretty sure there is no need for Exorcisms and that the individuals need a Psychiatrist, hospitalization.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I believe that people are occasionally being controlled, and maybe "possessed" by demons. However, a mature Christian can also "cast out" demons just as Jesus did (well, any Christian can. But for difficult cases I'd leave it to the strong in faith and maybe some Intercessors as well). We don't need "training" and we don't have to be a priest. We have the ability through Christ and the Holy Spirit.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• We don't need "training" and we don't have to be a priest. We have the ability through Christ and the Holy Spirit.-

but not all people have the gift of discernment. and i think this may be why the upcoming conference is needed, to better identify what is truly needed, in the spiritual sense, rather than simply medical/psychological. yes, some people do have mental issues, but evil/demonic possession can occur. (of course, if you don't believe in demons/devil/evil/etc, you wouldn't believe in possessions, huh?!)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't know....I find them to be very, very iffy. I will never say something is 100% fake (unless I have absolute proof)!! I have extreme doubts that exorcisms are actually needed but hey...I have also never been possessed by a demon nor has anyone I know, so I have my doubts but I won't condemn them altogether.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I don't know. I think it sounds a little fishy. I am on the fence.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• Good question. You see all those shows of possessions and they seem really fake. My uncle thought he was possessed but had schizophrenia So I'm a sceptic. They just seem fake
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• As a catholic this is how I see it: if someone can be filled with the spirit of god why not the opposite? I believe in ghosts (souls in purgatory who have not moved on), demons (the opposite of angels & saints) and the devil...the opposite of god. That's how I was raised. I also believe in up ( the opposite of down) and right (the opposite of left). I lived in a house with an evil something in it and consulted a priest. He gave me directions for blessing the house and told me to call him if it didn't work because he suspected a poltergeist. If a house can require a priest to cleanse it why not a soul?
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

I don't think its so much fake, I think its usually an undiagnosed mental illness, expecially schitzophrenia

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• When I turned 18 I got sick that day...I proceeded to get sicker and after taking me to see doctors and whatnot they finally said I had a virus that attacks the nervous system. I cannot remember the name of this it was really long ;)
    Anyhow, it basically casued me not to be able to speak clearly at all and my head would turn no matter how much I would fight against it- very wierd...my family(mom and her whole side as well as dad) is very religious and decided that I was actually posessed and my mom took me to my uncle's house and he performed what they thought was a sort of excorsism. All that did was freak me out-with him basically yelling in my face and acting wierd...and I remained sick for about another week afterwards.

I think people make things out to be what they want them to be...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2010