How old does a cat need to be to get declawed?

We just adopted a kitten. I'm worried about the kitten scratching my young children. At what age is it appropriate to delaw a cat? This is an indoor cat ONLY.

stina1218

Asked by stina1218 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pets

• There are these cat claw covers called soft paws. I think the webpage is softpaws.com. They make it so the cat can not scratch anything and it doesnt hurt them and they are not very expensive. We got them for our cat so she wouldnt scratch the walls.
    sweetkrisi

Answer by sweetkrisi at 11:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Declawing cats is inhumane. You do realize what they do, right? They don't just pull out the claws...they actually cut off the first joint of each toe. Many vets will no longer declaw cats because all humane societies consider it a completely inhumane and cruel practice. Please don't do this to your poor little kitten!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• All of my cats have been declawed, but they have always been that way when I got them. I too looked into declawing my kitten. After doing some research and realizing what they do to the cat, I decided NOT to do it. Our kitten is 8 months old, and we just trim his nails to keep him from scratching. Its been working well.

But to answer your question I believe the cat has to be 6 months old....don't quote me.
    hbeam27

Answer by hbeam27 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i agree with the above poster. it is so mean to do this to cats. here is a link for you to read:

http://www.declawing.com/

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I really hope you don't... I confess to doing this once to two kittens close to twenty years and it was AWFUL. I regret it to this day, one of them continued to have problems the rest of his life. I'm not bashing you, just urging you to talk to your vet about the consequences, also other options such as the soft tips you can put on their claws. Also, if you start out clipping their nails while young, just like dogs, they will be nice and trim.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• continued...

I currently have a front declawed meezer and she is the happiest friendliest cat EVER. Her story is weird because I adopted her from a crazy cat lady at 8 weeks old, she had already been front declawed, and the lady gave me some weird story that she was declawed at 3 days old, like they do to puppies "dew claws"- which I have no idea what that means. The doctors said they had never heard of that, most docs either wont declaw or wont do it until 3 months or older. I feel that even though it sounds terrible, she has no idea she doesnt have front claws, and is not sensitive to me touching her toes, and still acts as if she has them.

Any how, I'd say have it done when they are due to be spayed/neutered, that way they are only subjected to anastesia once. Only do the front claws, keep the back claws trimmed. This way, if your cat ever gets outside, they can still defend themselves. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 10:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• AND- to take this further- would you rather have someone be as you put it- "inhumane" by declawing their pet, or, just let an animal rot and die in a shelter? I've met crazy coots who run adoptions that wont let you take a cat if you dont sign a waiver stating you'll never declaw... meanwhile they have hundreds of cats living in cages in their spare bedroom. Whats more inhumane- declawing or being caged, homeless, and on their way to being euthanized?
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 10:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I was a vet tech, and i am going to blow your mind away with the thoughts of getting your animal's teeth cleaned, neutered, spayed, declawed... Did you know the drug that they use to "put them to sleep" is the same drug they use to kill/euthanize sick or older pets. It is just at a lower dose. I always wondered how good that really was for our pets! I love the soft tips that they came out with. They are like gel slip covers that go over your animals nail. They clip the nail, file, and put these soft tips over them. They fall off when they start to grow, but you just take them back in and they do it all over again. GL
    MOMSART

Answer by MOMSART at 10:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You can go online to Drs Foster and Smith and buy caps to glue on kitty's nails. You have to replace them as they fall off. Much better.

I had a cat declawd once, per the landlords orders. She snuck out a window while we were visiting the in-laws and their dog killed her. If she could have climbed the fence, she would have gotten away.

I didn't want our next cat declawed. Screw the landlord. My husband insisted because "heaven forbid" it was clawing the couches. Before declawing, he loved to play with his toys. After declawing, he sat there dejected because he couldn't "catch" them anymore.

I would never, ever declaw again, wish I hadn't listened to my husband. it completely changed the cat's personality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Okay so I guess I am going to be the horrible one here and say I don't care who says it's inhumane for the cat to get declawed. Whey my cat was about 3mths old we had him declawed. He was ripping up the furniture, using his claws to climb up our legs and I wan't about to let him scratch my son. It may sound horrible but he was fine. The Dr. kept him for two days to make sure it all came out okay and we just had to changed our litter to a none clumping kind for a week. He is just fine now. He plays just like a cat, loves his toys, still scratches at the scratch post and jumps up on furniture all the same. I don't see why everyone is so against this, we actually had all four of our cats paws done. I don't care what anyone else says, if you want it done then do it.
    rosie2484

Answer by rosie2484 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2008